Za'Darius Smith - OLB - Free Agent (maybe)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VondyP, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

I've been thinking that this guy seems like a like pickup in FA if he ends up there, and our ESPN reporter is talking him up today so I thought I'd fire up a thread.

OLB - Drafted by Pees to the Ravens
    27 years old

2018 Statline:
    8 Games Started
    45 Tackles
    8.5 sacks
    25 QB Hits
    10 TFL

(he means RT in the post below)

TURRON DAVENPORT on Twitter

Obviously he would already know the entire system having come from the Ravens and Pees hand picking him at the time. We are desperate for OLB with Morgan and Orakpo going out the door and this seems like a no brainer to me.

Thoughts?

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

One-year wonder who is gonna get overpaid. Wouldn't be the first Ravens pass-rusher to get hot right before free agency and then never really do anything big again. Remember Pernell McPhee? Paul Kruger?

3. VondyP

dont think he's a one year wonder, he just didnt play before. his 8 starts this season matches his CAREER games started prior to this season. ravens stacked themselves at LB through the years so they rotated a lot.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. ICBW

ICBW MILF Hunter

reminds me of orakpo. almost same age too. get a guy cheap in FA with injury history for cheap. don’t see any real risk if we bring him in for rotation. still need to draft well though.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. VondyP

well we need a starter opposite landry since we are losing both rak and morgan, i think this could be the guy if pees is in love with him still, like he apparently was during the draft process.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

17th most pressures at his respective position. Has ties to Pees. Can kick inside on passing downs. Supposedly a tone setter at practice. Shouldn't be too expensive. I could definitely see it happening

7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I’m good for depth and definitely if it’s a pass rusher.

I don’t know how an 8game season comes off as a one year wonder either? This guy is a question mark for durability and if he’s as good as that half season. Both should keep cost down a little but that also means other teams will likely pursue him.

8. TorontoTitanFan

If he's cheap, then yeah it's an easy decision to sign him. But I don't expect this guy to come cheap.

9. TorontoTitanFan

Because he has one good season on his career resume and it came in 2018. Doubled his sack and tackle totals for 2016 and 2017 combined.

Could it be a sign of things to come? Sure. But he wouldn't be the first below-average player to have one good season in a contract year and then never really do anything again.

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Ok. An 8 game season to me doesn’t really even qualify for a one year wonder. That’s like someone breaking the bank for Henry right now because of a monster December.

If that 8 games puts him among the highest paid FA this offseason, then let him walk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar