XBOX 360 Elite - Can it be used as a media streamer?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Childress79, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I'm considering buying a 360 Elite.

Does anyone have one? I'd really like to know how usable it is as a media streamer. Will I be able to play xvid & avi files from my PC to a tv using the 360 accross a wireless network?

I'm not interested in flashing it or modding it in any way.I'd just like to know if it can be used as a media streamer straight out of the box.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

iirc, you need to have Windows Media Center on your PC

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

btw ... do NOT get the Elite
    as I understand it (as I have not seen / read otherwise) the Elite's do not have the new 'sister' heatsinks
    there have been just as many RROD issues with Elite's as Prem's

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Cheers Puck.

I've read up on it & your right the current batch of Elite's on sale have the old mobo & cpu. Glad I asked.

An additional 65nm graphics chip upgrade is due 3rd qtr 08 & a full 3rd gen upgrade to 45mn is allegedly coming in 09.

I think I'll wait until it's all sorted out.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

there's really no need in grabbing an elite anyway
    the only difference iirc, is the 120gb HDD
    but if you plan on streaming, you probably will be using an external HDD anyway - right
    the best options right now are the new Premiums with the 2nd heatsink and HDMI outputs

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

You know this is a bit pathetic really but aesthetically I only want the elite because it's black. The HDD isn't really an issue.:eek:

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I've bit the bullet & ordered a 360 Elite. Should be delivered tomorrow.

Done some reading up & most machines made from mid October/Batch #738 & above have the new 65nm chips & even an earlier than predicted cooler GPU as well.

That was all I needed to know.

8. HALL97ROX

HALL97ROX Camp Fodder

Damn it childress I didn't see this soon enough I was going to tell you the Halo edition of the 360 has the Falcon chip set in it, use that info as you will

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

No worries,thanks anyway man.

It's here & I can confirm I've got an elite with the Falcon chip.Batch #742

10. HALL97ROX

HALL97ROX Camp Fodder

Good deal, enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar