Would Adding Weight Help Mariota?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

So I recently read this article about how Mariota plans to add about 10lbs of weight this offseason to try and help his durability. In 2018 Mariota played at around 215lbs, which is just about 10lbs below league average of 225lbs. But I question whether adding weight is going to solve the problem.

Case in point: Ben Rothlisberger. Rothlisberger has only played a full 16 games in a season ONCE since he entered the league in 2004, and clocks in at a whopping 240lbs. Dude has injured nearly every part of his body since entering the league.

Meanwhile the other most injury prone QBs of the last 15 years:

Matt Stafford: 232 lbs.
    Andrew Luck: 234 lbs.
    Sam Bradford: 228 lbs.
    Jay Cutler: 233lbs.

Not exactly string beans.

If you think adding weight is the key to Mariota increasing durability, why?
    If you think there is something else he can do to prevent injury, what?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I wasnt happy when he dropped the weight, so naturally I think this is good move for him.

He was seriously looking homeless by seasons end last year.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

couldnt hurt as long as he doesnt get 2chinz sized

• LOL LOL x 1
  4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

10 extra pounds isn’t going to fix his brachial plexus injury. Too late now.

5. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

Not going to help him read defenses or see the field any better which are his two major issues.

• Boring Boring x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
  6. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

It would teach him to rely less on his athleticism. It's always been a cop out and a reason why he's never developed any pocket feel.

• Boring Boring x 1
  7. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

His issues are primarily mental. He doesn't trust his line protecting and his receivers catching which in turn makes him hold on the ball too long and get sacked or doesn't throw. You see it in the 4th quarters when we're down, he flips the switch to God mode and leads us back.

Maybe the added weight will help him mentally? I hope so.

• High Five High Five x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

If while he’s eating, he learns to read a defense, I’d say yea, otherwise I don’t think his weight is the problem.

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Anytime 290lb men are attacking you it's good idea to beef up for the beating

• LOL LOL x 2
  10. SouthSide1

SouthSide1 615 STRONG

It wouldn't hurt for him to add weight. It will hopefully make him more durable and harder to bring down but he really needs to get rid of the ball as well to save his body.. As far as the other QB's you mentioned, those guys aren't mobile QB's and Ben gets hurt because he holds the ball too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar