Why dont we give up our 1st round pick for a WR?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Boldin was never for trade.

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

you act like we have to have one or the other, we can still keep our team together and have a great WR.
    it's not to much to ask for.

our coaches and owner must have something against a good wr.

3. KingTitan

KingTitan aka CRONUS

His Highness, KingTitan, has directed us to pass on this message:
    "Do NOT draft a WR for pick #1, pick a defender!" He went on to declare: "Pick Brian Cushing OLB from USC, or Marcus Freeman LB from OSU."

In our humble opinion, The King probably thinks some of our LBs are getting a little old.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

It's funny, some of you guys think the only way to acquire a #1 receiver is to make a blockbuster trade for him. Lets take a look at some of the guys people are mentioning as the Titans Should of/would of/could of gotten..

Chris Chambers (Drafted by the Dolphins)
    Roy Williams (Drafted by the Lions)
    Larry Fitzgerald (Drafted By the Cardinals)
    Anquan Boldin (Drafted by the Cardinals)

now take a look around the league, Chad Johnson drafted by the bengals, TJ whosyourmomma, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith, Lee Evans, the list goes on and on. All were drafted by they're respected teams and became #1's. Why can't the titans do the same? 1 word, System. We are one of the few teams that runs the ball as much as we do and relies on defense as much as we do. Even if we did acquire Terrell Owens or Randy Moss, they're numbers would be significantly dropped from any other team in the NFL.

5. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

I agree with the system part here. I mean I for one would love a big name reciever as much as anyone, but really for what? 3-6 passes a game? Maybe? We run and minimize costly plays. Thats Tennessee's gameplan in a nutshell. Of course that and a strong defense. Keeping it with top players is critical.I like the way this team is built and hope we can stay this way for years.

What I think is wrong with our team on offense is that if we are going to rely on mediocre recievers to pull us out of those certain situations, when we do need them, then we need a quarterback that can put it right on the numbers. A really good quarterback can make a reciever and a really good receiver can make a quarterback.
    Strong lines on both sides, a great defense and a solid running game ( Chris Johnson and Lendale ) is a perfect recipe to win. We gave a lot of money to our tackles in the offseason, Cortland may want/need a contract renegotiation soon, Haynesworth's deal is going to be huge and the list goes on and on and on. To keep what we have we'll need a lot of money and spending it elsewhere on something that is very low on the "necessity" list is probably not in Fisher's gameplan.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

mho, I don't like giving up 1st round picks. It's always nice to see what kind of predicted talent you can get in the 1st.

I would have been all for packaging late rounds picks to trade for a WR. It does appear that the price for wrs is too inflated. Would anyone have really wanted to give up a 1st, 3rd, and 6th for Roy Williams?

I do have a hard time believing this team can win a superbowl with Collins at the helm, and no WR threat. Although this 5-0 start is amazing, it's all about getting hot in December and carrying that through the playoffs.

Luckily this season, with the Brady injury and other powerhouses struggling, maybe this IS the season Fisherball can net a world championship.

If not, hopefully we'll add a WR next offseason, even before we consider drafting a new QB. Although I'm pretty sure we'll draft a Rb in the first or second round...

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Lets all not forget last season during the last few games and the playoffs, how many times our WR's dropped balls that hit them right in the chest. thats when a great WR will pay off. we are gonna get behind in a big game this year and will have to move the ball in a hurry throuh the air. I dont trust our WR's in clutch plays.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

...which may also explain how the Volek fiasco was allowed to happen. it's been pretty obvious that Fisher has no interest in a passing offense, though it's ben quite necessary to change that attitude recently with KFC at the helm.

9. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

I don't think that it is necessarily not being able to have both, but rather spending a large value of our cap on a postion that is not a large part of our offense. Money may not be strappedfor cash but keeping our own star players will be a lot easier with cap room. Spending big money on a wideout would almost mean that the team would have to try to utilize him more. Taking away from Fisher's plan to run and run and control the clock. I think we need to bite the bullet and draft one high and hope to finally hit. Maybe we can find our own Boldin, Johnson or Fitzgerald.

10. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

I think the major factor may be that there's no good way to produce one of those guys in this system. That's why I'd say, for this one position, we go out and get someone we know can already do it. Because the truth is a rookie WR here gets nowhere near the shot he'd have on a pass-balanced-to-heavy team. It's the one position we're unlikely to develop--for several different reasons: philosophy, qb situation, not drafting at the very top of the draft--and if we could get that under some semblance of control then we could really begin to maximize our potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar