Who to target by trade deadline

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ropy0386, Oct 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

They are symbiotic. One cannot succeed alone.

A bad secondary coupled with a good pass rush, a good qb just gets the ball out fast and nickels and dimes you to death.

A bad pass rush paired with a good secondary leaves the qb too much time, and eventually a hole in the zone will be found, or the qb finds someone open on a scramble drill.

Right now, I think the secondary is the bigger problem.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  2. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

As long as they keep playing 10 yards off the ball every play no matter what down or situation they will continue to suck. Especially on short downs, it's mind numbing. None of them are good enough to give that much cushion.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I disagree. I think the pass rush is still the bigger problem because there is no fix currently on the roster. The secondary is real banged up, but we will get AJ25 and Fulton back at some point.

4. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

The defense is basically the same as last year save Casey, Ryan, and woodyard. I believe we have the talent to replace them all. What we seem to be missing is the leadership.

5. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

To a certain extent, yes. But if the DB's are playing so far off the ball teams can throw a slant route as soon as the ball is snapped there is no pass rush that is going to help that.

Landry and Simmons are both top 15 in QB knockdowns and Landry is 11th in QB hurries. We are getting pressure, but QB's don't have to hold onto the ball against our secondary so they can't convert them to sacks.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. HurrayTitans!

DBs playing off is a coach thing, not the DB. Why trade for a different DB to,play off the WR?

I also don’t see the pressure. Watching the games, QBs rarely have anyone forcing out of the pocket. Simmons seems the only consistent pass rusher, at least on a positive note. Clowney is consistent too, consistently losing the edge and putting himself in the wrong place.

7. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

PFF has Joseph as the #22 CB in coverage in the league right now. Butler is #84. I see why everyone had been attacking Butler all season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Because we have to play off the ball because our DB's are too slow to play press... coaches are having to do that because of personnel.

You aren't seeing the pressure because the QB is getting rid of the ball instantly lol like I've been saying. Go back and watch the first 3rd and 12 Pittsburgh converted. It's a slant route that Big Ben literally throws about a second after the snap. DB was off the ball and Johnson jukes him for the first down. There is no pass rusher alive to can consistently pressure against that.

Why do you think screens and short passes are so effective against the blitz? It negates the pass rush

Hell go look at Ben's pass chart from next gen stats. It's all short throws.. you think that's by accident??

9. DoubleBlue

DoubleBlue Highly Respected Poster

Agreed butler has to be better, definitely tougher on him with no Adoree at all this year.

Could be butlers last year here considering we can get out of his contract for the most part after this season. But we'll see if adoree coming back helps alot, it should.

Malcolm Butler

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. HurrayTitans!

A) playing off the ball has been happening since Vrabel took over. Doesn’t matter the DB, he’s playing them that way. As I said earlier, we had the best secondary 3 years ago with Ryan, AJ25, and Butler with Byard at safety and still got no pass rush.

B) the lack of pressure is not just quick releases. There are plenty of examples of the opposing QB sitting down, having tea, baking cookies, then throwing the ball without ever feeling any heat.

Throwing short based on what the D gives you is smart football. Doesn’t mean the wrong players are on the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar