What to do with Mariota past 2019

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Whitters21, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Therein lies the problem. You can be bigger, faster, stronger with great hand eye coordination...but if you don't run good routes and catch the ball...you will never be an elite WR. I don't know about you, but I like when my wr's get open and catch the ball.

Please explain how an AVERAGE of targets is meaningful in describing when Mariota will or will not throw the ball. It means NOTHING unless you go back and examine the plays one by one...which makes this stat meaningless without context...so go check the context instead of bashing Mariota over a stat when you don't understand what it means...even though you think you do.

Let's simplify...

You can't know what is meaningful unless you got back and watch every play! Since you haven't, you don't know the answer so you don't know what is meaningful and what is meaningless. And average yards of separation is meaningless (overall) to a qb's decision making. He's making decisions in each play, not based on what the average is of the game or season. Each play shows you that. Go watch film.

And here's a hint. When I give you an example of Tom Brady and Edelman and you can't answer whether it's good or bad...it PROVES that it is a meaningless stat when it comes to telling you anything about a qb's decision making since too much goes into the play to know. You don't wanna answer because you can't know if it's good or bad just based on that stat. Maybe Brady is doing all the work...or the wr...or the ol...or the playcalling...or some combo of everything. But that wouldn't help you turn it into a negative to bash Mariota...so you CAN'T answer the question.

Lastly, if you want to know about Mariota's decision making, you'd have to look at ALL receivers on every play to know who was open, when, and who should get the credit or fault for the result of the play. Too much to guess when so many variables play a part. THAT is why your claim is MEANINGLESS and a poor attempt at covering your hatred.

Thanks for the Cosell interview...I'll check that out now...

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Therein lies the problem. You can be bigger, faster, stronger with great hand eye coordination...but if you don't run good routes and catch the ball...you will never be an elite WR. I don't know about you, but I like when my wr's get open and catch the ball.

How can his decision making on a single play be that he won't throw the ball because of an average...which is more than one play. Doesn't work.

Please explain how an AVERAGE of targets is meaningful in describing when Mariota will or will not throw the ball on a single play if you don't know what is happening on that play? YOU CAN'T!!! Your claim, which I've proven false numerous times, means NOTHING unless you go back and examine the plays one by one...which makes this stat meaningless without context...so go check the context instead of bashing Mariota over a stat when you don't even understand what it means...even though you think you do.

Let's simplify...

You can't know what is meaningful unless you got back and watch every play! Since you haven't, you can't know the answer of WHY he did or di not throw the ball and why the wr did or did not get x amount of separation so you don't know what is meaningful and what is meaningless. And average yards of separation is meaningless (for a season overall) to a qb's decision making. He's making decisions in each play, not based on what the average is of the game or season. Each play shows you that. Go watch film.

And here's a hint. When I give you an example of Tom Brady and Edelman and you can't answer whether it's good or bad...it PROVES that it is a meaningless stat when it comes to telling you anything about a qb's decision making since too much goes into the play to know. You don't wanna answer because you can't know if it's good or bad just based on that stat. Maybe Brady is doing all the work...or the wr...or the ol...or the playcalling...or some combo of everything. But that wouldn't help you turn it into a negative to bash Mariota...so you CAN'T answer the question.

Lastly, if you want to know about Mariota's decision making, you'd have to look at ALL receivers on every play to know who was open, when, and who should get the credit or fault for the result of the play. Too much to guess when so many variables play a part. THAT is why your claim is MEANINGLESS and a poor attempt at covering your hatred.

Thanks for the Cosell interview...I'll check that out now...

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Actually, he's saying the exact same things I have said...which are...

Mariota has had a problems with durability.

Mariota has been inconsistency with his decision making.

Mariota has been inconsistent throwing the ball due to his mechanics.

Mariota has had big game moments...but needs more consistency.

The Titans will try to feature the run game and let Mariota be - for lack of a better expression - more of a game manager.

What you have said is that he won't throw the ball unless there is an average of 3 yards of separation...lol!!! Cosell didn't say he CAN'T have an offense built around him. He said he thought the Titans would build it around Henry and Mariota would be more of a game manager.

He did say he though Tannehill had a SLIGHTLY better arm. Your characterization that he thinks Tannehill is the best QB on the team is very misleading since you don't include what he said about Tannehill.

He said that Tannehill has exhibited the exact same problems as Mariota (even though he's been in the league longer)…

Tannehill has durability problems.

Tannehill is inconsistent with his decision making AND his accuracy.

Tannehill has had some big moments but isn't consistent enough.

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for Tannehill.

I don't think Cosell said anything we didn't know (if you watch the games and know something about football). Unlike you, he watches the tape and made reasonable opinions. He also added that this is Mariota's big year and would be the starter at the beginning of the season. Again, something you don't agree with.

Point is, we have a quality backup and Mariota has a first hand look at the left hand turn his career could have if he doesn't get it done this year.

Time will tell.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

ABC thinks he's the GREATEST analyst....because it says so in Cosell's BIO!!!

And Vondy didn't bad mouth him because he criticized Mariota, we have said we mostly agree with him!!! Reading would help.

His point was that he didn't say anything new...so where's the great analysis?

• LOL LOL x 1
  5. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Wrong

He could always throw it away

Mary bad. Tanny good. Be happy

6. JRayStay

JRayStay Starter

Wait, Is this another one of your DGB-is-the-greatest predictions?
    "Tajae rules" predictions?
    Kelly is a turnstile we were JROBBED predictions?

There's been so many I've lost count.
    LOL

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 8and8

8and8 Starter

Vondy said Cosell was giving his “not so informed opinion.”

That’s kinda bad mouthing if you consider them not so informed even though they’ve been analyzing film for a LONG time.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hate to break it to you Mary haters, but youre gonna be looking at that goofy face of his for a long time if Walker is back to his 2017 form.

With all the new pieces its too easy in Madden. Walker is flashing open in 2 seconds, once he draws double teams its too easy with Corey Davis to hurl a Go-route for 6. Plus Henry will hide some of Mary's problems since he'll be the focal point.

My preseason thoughts are the pineapple farmer gets a deal to stay. Even if he misses a game or two.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Funny how a guy can go from an expert analyst to a guy with a camcorder working out of his mom's basement after saying something unfavorable about Mariota.

• Boring Boring x 1
    • Unreadable Unreadable x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
  10. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

wrong

i had a very long post detailing each thing he said and what i agreed/didnt agree with.

cosell is fine but his opinions are worth as much as any other talking head's. not much. acting like he is some guru above the rest is something i disagree with.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar