Upon Further Review: Big Al Can Pack His Bags and Savoring the Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

if we keep our main core of guys like the Colts have done over the years , then i dont see why we couldnt be a contender every year.

We need to decide on a QB and keep him together with the same offense for years to come. Collins was a short term fix, keeping VY from this offense is a big set back if he really is our future QB. Colts offense is so fine tuned cause they been playing with each other for years. Anthony Gonz is the newest edition of the Colts and he is getting better each year ,couple more years and he will be clutch like Wayne and Clark.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

well, when I read it I just took it at face value and moved on. I just think you didn't convey sarcasm. You said, "They've yet to play a complete game." While you did point out that a "complete game" is a pipe dream too many people have seen one out of other teams and may expect one out of this Titans team... so to simply make that statement doesn't really sound sarcastic at all. You make a great point, make no mistake about that, but as far as being sarcastic I'm afraid you whiffed my friend.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'll be sure to post the "saracasm" smilie for you next time, bro.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

I appreciate that, but still, good sarcasm jumps off the page. Think about this... you say that, "What most think it takes for the Titans to play a 'complete game' is a myth." in your clarification... well, if most have an idea of what it takes to play a complete game, to tell them the Titans haven't yet doesn't sound very sarcastic at all. Even when you mention that, "No one, especially the players and coaching staff feels the Titans are playing extremely well." Well, as fans we perceive this team as pretty humble. They are always talking about needing improvement, tightening up... things of that nature... Do you see what I'm saying? RollTide jumped all over it as if it was an honest assertion. It just didn't strike me as a radical enough departure truth to contrast as sarcasm. It was too easy to agree with.

5. TitanJeff

You've lost me but it's cool.

What I thought Tide was saying is that a team doesn't have to play "complete games" in order to become Super Bowl champ and I totally agree. I see he assumed I thought the Titans needed to play "complete games" in order to be good enough to be Super Bowl Champs. I don't.

By "complete game", I'm talking about dominating in all three phases for 60 minutes. It's very rare to see any NFL team do it for a game let alone a season. I assumed everyone realized that. That doesn't mean the Titans shouldn't strive to play a "complete game" even if making it a reality is remote.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Defense wins championships!

The only team that was good enough on offense alone to win a championship was those 49ers teams. Right? Wrong.

The 1981-1984-1988-1989-1994 49er teams that won super bowls all had top 10 defenses. The worst defense they won a chamionship with was the 94 unit that was 8th in scoring defense.

How about those 3 super winning teams the redskins had under joe gibbs? 1st, 6th and 2nd in scoring defenses respectively in 81-87-91.

How about those cowboy teams in the 90s they had aikman, emmitt and irvin all HOFers! Sure but the 3 years they won the super bowl they were 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively in scoring defense in 92-93-95.

The patriots in 2001 were 6th in scoring defense and in the top 2 in scoring defense in 2003 and 2004.

The packers in the 1960s had all sorts of HOF players on offense like starr-horning-taylor-gregg. But in the 5 championship seasons of 60-61-62-66-67 they never ranked lower than 2nd in scoring defense. Never lower than 2nd!

The kurt warner ram team that won the 99 super bowl was 4th in scoring defense.

The 3 Giant teams that won super bowls in 86-90-07 were 2nd-1st-7th respectively in scoring defense.

I don't know about you guys but i see a trend here. If the other team doesn't score many points you are not going to lose!

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

Maybe the notion of what a complete game is varies.

What about the game versus the Bengals?

let's examine that one. I really haven't looked at the box score recently but it seemed like we ran effectively, played solid defense, scored td's on special teams and played trash time football late in the game. Was that not a complete game? I will now look up the box score, post the link and attempt to find where it wasn't complete. At this point I'm going off recollection.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29545

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxsc...box_score&season=2008&week=REG2&override=true

Collins wasn't spectacular but he completed 67% of his passes and didn't turn the ball over in what anyone would agree were terrible conditions.

CJ had 109 yards... and a big run...
    LenDale contributed 59 yards.

Those aren't awesome running stats but they were effective enough because:

The Titans got 9 first downs rushing.
    We won the time of possession...

The opposition was outscored >3:1.

Does lousy third down efficiency cancel all that out?

A complete game must be like the perfect woman. Maybe I need to elevate my football standards. It's unreasonable to expect a football team to execute perfectly every down. I understand that both you and RollTide agree with that. A complete game to me is outscoring the opposition, winning the time of possession and putting up a few key statistics that make the difference evident.

Perhaps the sarcasm was incredibly glaring but just lost on me. That's a distinct possibility.

8. TitanJeff

I'd say that was about as close as one can expect but visit a Jets board this week and you'll quickly see that it doesn't mean much against a team who has won only one game (in their view). Same with the Chiefs game. Total domination but to an inferior team without their best player.

To earn the respect of a lot of those critical of the Titans 10-0 record the team will need to do it against more teams with winning records. Is that realistic? Of course not. But they won't believe until the Titans dominate a few quality teams for four quarters.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I think we'll get a lot of belief if we come out strong and take control of this game. It's the first time we've really gotten to go head to head with a strong contender. Beating Colts and Ravens is nice, but knocking off a team at its peak is really what gets you the attention. The same will be true of the Steelers game.

Honestly, I'd gladly get destroyed in both if it was just a tradeoff for some good playoff wins.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

to the jets I say:

we didn't get slaughtered by the Chargers who are a 6 loss team.

we didn't get beat by the Raiders who are easily among the top 5 worst teams in the league.

We didn't squeak by the Cheifs,

we didn't beat the Rams by 45 pts either so we must suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar