Titans trade for Julio Jones

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Jun 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tewa Titan

Tewa Titan Starter

So who's on here saying they rather have Davis? Also the talking heads on sports TV saying the same thing. It's obvious they didn't watch any Titans games last year especially towards the end of our season and Playoff lost to Baltimore, where Corey Davis developed BHS(brick hands syndrome). I was elated to see Davis walk after that loss, tired of him having 2 or 3 good games outta the year and people saying he's a #1 playing a #2. 32 year old Jones>Davis i dont care if Davis sniffed a 1000 yard season.

2. Young54

Young54 Starter

It wasn't just that we didn't have the cap space. JRob made it clear he doesn't like to restructure because that's how you end up in cap hell. You don't pay the player cash up front. It's the opposite. You make a part of their current salary a bonus, and spread it over the remaining years of the contract. So you clear space this year, but increase your cap for the rest of the contract. It is "kicking the can down the road". The player also has to be willing to get paid less now.

Ultimately, I like the decision but I just didn't think it was a probability. Maybe it was also a subconscious way for me not to get my hopes up, and then get crushed. I'm happy I was wrong.

3. Young54

Young54 Starter

Aren't you happy we didn't restructure people to resign CD and Jonnu now? Restructuring isn't that clean. If you do it too much, you end up in a situation where CAP wise, you're overpaying for a player and might not be able to get rid of them. JRob might be banking on a significant CAP increase in 2022. Either way, it was worth the risk for JJ.

So it looks like we created $15,600,000 this year but Tanny's cap hit increases by $7,800,000 in 2022 and 2023. Again, worth the risk.

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The player does not get paid less now...in fact Tanny gets another big check right now.....his game checks will be much much smaller with the restructure, but overall money is the same for him.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Is this a serious question? Julio. I’d rather have Julio.

• LOL LOL x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

7. Young54

Young54 Starter

How so? Let's say my salary was $30M but I'm restructuring $15M over 3 years. My new salary is $15 with a bonus of $5. Then I'll get an extra $5 each of the next two years.

I think teams might increase the total bonus to incentivize the player, but that just increases the cap risk down the road.

It is very possible I'm missing something.

#197 Young54, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  8. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Well my point was there were guys we could have gotten with more cap space. Like Kyle Fuller for example. But agreed on all other points.

9. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Ive been hyping Firkser for a while now. I don’t think Jonnu was as big a part of this team as many think. Firkser almost matched his production on way fewer snaps.

My point is we could have signed the defensive guys as well as kept our own. But clearly JRob felt they were replaceable thus no need to restructure guys to bring them back.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Well Julio has a case of the drops from time to time too. But yeah I agree this is a clear upgrade. He obviously didn’t know this was going to be an option when FA started though so just shows how he really valued everyone throughout this process.

I think a lot of GM’s would have done everything they could to keep the band together. Especially in the super bowl window we are in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar