Titans sign Nick Harper

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ONUV, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Oilerstruck...

They won't flush lamont because he'll count the full $2.4M against the cap even if they release him. We save nothing by dumping him because they foolishly signed him to a new deal before last year.

Best bet? Trade him even if it is for a 7th rd pick that way his new team takes the cap hit and we can use the savings to then sign someone else.

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I don't see why any other team would want to be burdened with LT and his $2.4mil salary. He's definitely not worth anything other than minimum wage.

Maybe we'll have to bribe some other team to accept him.. like for example offering LT and our 4th round pick in return for some other team's 7th round pick..:ha: :ha:

3. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

:biglaugh:

4. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

ANYONE is an upgrade over RH.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Pitbull...

I don't see why any other team would want to be burdened with LT and his $2.4mil salary
    ------------------------------

Jeff fisher seems to have no problem with the guy. Both fisher and reinsfeldt said that safety was not a major need position.

Lamont started every game the last 2 years. We signed him to his current contract after he sucked all 2005.

I guess what i'm saying is that if fisher and reese can be dumb enough to give the guy a new contract and start him every week for 2 years certainly somebody else will be as well. Hell matt millen might be willing to give us a third rd pick.:grrhee:

Unless a team really digs deep and studies all that game video lamont doesn't look like a bad guy. Big, fast, mid career. Experienced starting nfl safety. ;) See my point?

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I know...

Put together a video package of all of lamont's ints and best hits and plays. Upload it on youtube and start hyping the hell out of this guy.

I would gladly be willing to post bogus comments about how lamont rocks, lamont is the best etc. we could all do that. Seeing this great highlight package and hundreds of positive comments could push a team over the edge far enough to actually give us a 7th rd pick. That's all we need just trade him and get the 2.4M off the books!

7. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

Nick Harper: From the eyes of a Fan

You guys will love Harper.

I've watched him in every game he's played in since he signed on at Indy, and he's a performer. You really got a good steal at the cornerback position here.

Here's the Pro's and Con's of Nick Harper, as he performed for the Colts:

Pro's
    -Leader. Inspires others using veteran saavy to grow young players into weapons (see Bob Sanders).

-Solid on every play. You may not see the highlights out of him that you'd see out of Deion or Champ, but you also won't be mad at him specifically for being burnt repeatedly.

-Way Above Average tackler for a corner. He tackles well just about every time. He's not a banger, but he makes sure tackles. Great against the WR screen.

-Good head on his shoulders. He comes to play every game, makes few mistakes, never has his name in the headlines (although it will be in the headlines from time to time because of his wife). He plays in the mold of Tony Dungy.

-Somehow, he seems to comes up with clutch plays all the time. His INT against Baltimore this year in the playoffs was huge, as was his fumble recovery in the loss to the Steelers last year.

-Pretty darn durable. He was hurt very late in the playoffs, but he's not the type of guy that gets hurt all the time and doens't play when he probably could. After all, he was STABBED prior to the Colts/Steelers playoff game last year and he played every down.

-Depsite what many will say, he is very capable of covering the #1 guy on most teams. It's not his strong suit, but when you play teams like the Titans, Jaguars, Patriots, and Ravens twice a year, there's not really a WR that can abuse him.

-His chemistry with David Thornton will help your defense in a major way.

-There will be games when you will say afterwards, "Harper was our defensive MVP that game." It just seems to happen all the time. Your D will have a poor to average game (usually POOR in the case of the regular season Colts!) and Harper will make plenty of "quiet" plays; pass breakups, tackles for loss, excellent coverage on a long ball that could've killed you, ect. He just quietly does all the right things until afterwards when you step back and say, "Damn, Harper's a GOOD player."

Cons

-Age.

-Not very fast. Must make most of his plays with instinct rather than talent.

-Like I said, he's capable at Man to man vs middle of the road WR's, but you don't want him covering Marvin, Reggie, Andre Johnson, Ocho Drunko, or any of those talented animals. He needs safety help for that.

-Run support. He seems to get buried by WR's blocking from time to time. When he's untouched, he's a very capable tackler, but don't expect him to shed blocks and make the stop very often.

All in all, you guys will be very happy with this guy. There were several games over the past couple years that we would've gotten killed if not for Nick Harper. He's a class act, and a helluva corner. Believe it or not, Harper is probably the best corner in Indy Colts history as of now.

-and by the way, if you look up my posts on this subject at coltfreaks, you'll see me trying my best to make a positive situation out of this loss, but I am VERY sad to see Harper go.

8. I'm not a huge fan of Harper, but we needed a solid starter to replace Pacman when he gets suspended (that's the best case scenario). All I can say is I'm glad he came fairly cheap...

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

SwingOnDeezBalz

I appreciate the input dude, classy post from a fan of a rival team :yes:

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Thanks for the post, SODB. It was good to read that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar