Titans Offense Continues to Sputter

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Berrian is nothing but a deep threat. Same for Stallworth. Johnson has never really produced that much. Kelly has bad character concerns. I wanted Thomas, but he only had 1 good year. Sweed has the knee problem that doesn't look to be going away. Jackson is a small deep threat, nothing more. Bennett was pretty good for us, but he got a contract that was way too big. And Henry is a Grade A knucklehead.

And where are we to get one? One has not hit FA, and a trade for one would be too expensive, IMO. And that type of WRs do not go anywhere anyway. Name one, other than Moss and TO, who has gotten dealt over the past 5 years. Yeah, it would really help but we can't find one.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You can knock the guys I listed all you want, but to me, they are still better than any single WR on our roster. And the Titans had the possibility of getting any of them, without a trade.

As far as being too expensive, looking at our last 2 drafts, trading away draft picks for a proven receiver wouldn't bother me at all. Capwise, I'm not sure where the team stands right now, so maybe Boldin with a fat contract would put us in an iffy situation for the future, but I'm not sure.

I'd like to challenge anyone to find one NFL team with a worse receiving corps than the Titans (excluding TEs). There are a couple that are close (Bears for one), but none as weak as our set.

It will never make sense to me that we used a top 3 draft pick on a QB, and gave him the worst receiving core in the NFL to work with.

3. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

- Signed David Givens..... injury
    - Stallworth took less money than we offered to go to the Pats.

- Bouldin isn't going anywhere. Just like Chad Johnson calling for a trade.

- As far as our GM and firing him for the lack of rcvrs.... Fisher said that Heimerdinger looked at tapes before the draft and said that we were fine and should draft a running back.

4. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

Wow! So much doom and gloom and the regular season hasn't even started yet.

We're just putting on a front so that our opponents think we stink as bad as our fans do. Then we'll unleash the beast and shock the world.

Look out Jaggie Pies ;)

5. vslyke

Berrian, Bennett, and Henry probably are as good or better than Gage. However, Berrian and Bennett got way too much money, and Henry is PacMan with less skill.

If we traded away the pick we used on CHen, I would agree with you. Otherwise, I'd rather have Griff/CJ than those other guys. And hindsight is 20/20 anway. And a big contract for Boldin could lead to us not resigning AH, which is a bigger prioirty, IMO.

Jags, Bears, and maybe the Vikings. Bears are easily the worst in the league.

6. Alex1939

I can think of a few players we could do without that would've cleared the cap space for us to overpay for one of those WRs. (also Pacman has looked crappy in preseason and on "Hard Knocks", I still think he is going to suck this season)

Vikings: Bernard Berrian, Bobby Wade, Sidney Rice
    Jags: Jerry Porter, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Troy Williamson
    Bears: Marty Booker, Devin Hester, Brandon Lloyd, Mark Bradley, Earl Bennett

You know, you may have gotten me. The Vikes and Bears I think are better. Berrian would be a #1 on our team, i'd think. I'd love it if we had Devin Hester and Earl Bennett, and I think Booker is more proven than our guys.

BUT, I think I would rather have our receivers than the Jaguars. Their guys look awful.

7. vslyke

Such as? I can't think of any huge cap blunders.

I'd rather have Berrian than Gage (if you took the contracts out of it) but I like our other WRs more than the rest of the Vikings Wrs. It's close.

The Jags are terrible. I mean, they want Williamson to contribute. That's like us beinging back LaMont Thompson and putting him at FS.

And I don't like the Bears WRs at all. Hester could be OK, but no one else impresses me.

8. titansfan4eva24

titansfan4eva24 VY 4 Life

at least VY hasnt sucked as much as Leinart...he brings new meaning to the word pathetic

9. Alex1939

I'm not sure I follow. And I don't think we have any cap blunders on the current team. But the point I was trying to make, is we could do without, say Ryan Fowler for instance, and that cap money could've went to "overpaying" one of the WRs previously mentioned.

I like Sydney Rice better than any of our WRs, but I could be wrong about him. Bobby Wade only had 100 yards less last season than Gage or Roydell. I'd much prefer the Viking receivers to ours, and to me it isn't close.

Yeah, haha. Like I said, you got me. Truly there is at least the Jaguars receivers that are worse than the Titans.

I dunno, Gage is a bear reject and he is our number 1.

But I could see where the case can be made that our WRs are better than the Bears. It's close. I'd take the Bears for Bookers consistency and Hester's speed. Also I like Earl Bennett's potential.

10. vslyke

Oh, ok. Even then, Fowler is the only guy I can think of that I think we could be fine without that has a big deal.

Fair enough. I just don't think Wade is anything good, and Rice = Hawkins for me.

True, but no one else over there has done anything either.

I think Booker is done. And I don't know much about Bennett.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar