Titans in on Julio OR Elijah?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Apr 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carp

Carp Starter

Literally every article that talks about his blocking regards it as poor. Even JRob called him out on it recently. He absolutely is not underrated as a blocker.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Tricky

Tricky Starter

1. Did not say bigger impact.
    2. We have a bigger need at slot WR.
    3. He would be much more affordable.

3. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

He is not a “knock you off the line” guy, but he has been efficient when I watch several isolated plays. I really don’t care about “articles” most them still frame Tannehill in his Miami days. In our scheme, he really isn’t asked to take on the number 1 Edge rushers. He can get to the second level and wall off LBs. People talk like he is an absolute whiff machine and he isn’t. Can he improve? Sure, and he has the work ethic and athleticism to do so.

#103 Chronos, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
  4. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Saffold has played well but if it's between him and Julio, I don't think there's a comparison. You cut him to sign Julio. What is his dead cap if we cut him this year? It may not provide enough space and may be too big of a hit to consider it.

If JRob had drafted Trey Smith in the 6th like most people wanted him to, cutting Saffold would be much easier. But he drafted a Safety from Oregon to play special teams.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

My biggest knock on Firkser is the RAC. That needs to improve a fair amount.

6. Carp

Carp Starter

Do you care what JRob says? Cause he openly called him out about it. That typically isn't something that is done when someone is "underrated" at blocking.

As an FYI, he ran routes on 75% of his snaps (among the highest in the league at TE) and no tight end in the league blocked on a lower percentage of pass plays than him (0.9%).

7. Carp

Carp Starter

Since we're in the Julio thread though, while I would love to have him, we do have bigger needs and he costs quite a bit. We could probably take the money we would have to give him and sign Trey Burton and vet WR that gets cut like Crowder.

8. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Falcons would "probably" trade Julio Jones for a second round draft pick "at this point."
    Atlanta, looking to offload Jones' guaranteed money for the coming years, asked for a first rounder in exchange for Jones before the NFL Draft. That proved too pricey for teams interested in acquiring the all-time Falcons great, who missed most of the 2020 season with hamstring issues. Only the Jaguars, Jets, Broncos, Bengals, Lions, Browns, Chargers, and 49ers have enough salary cap space to absorb Julio's guaranteed $15.3 million 2021 salary without moving money around. Jones, 32, reportedly has interest in playing with Cam Newton in New England. He would instantly become the focal point of the Patriots' low-volume passing offense and his absence in Atlanta would presumably open up more targets for Calvin Ridley, Kyle Pitts, and Russell Gage. A Jones trade in the coming weeks could make Pitts the second highest drafted tight end in seasonal leagues, behind Travis Kelce.

9. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Where do I sign? That's highway robbery IMO (in our favor).

PK was saying last week on their show that if the Titans restructured Tannehill it would save $20 million this season. We are in a window right now where we could potentially make a Superbowl if we add another piece or two. Julio may put us over the top. Why hasn't this been done already?

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Actually he said he need to “speed up” his blocking. I recognize he has shortcomings as a blocker, but as I stated, he is not just an orange cone placed on the field. He can and does wall off LBs and creates running lanes. Maybe not at the rate of a starting TE has done, but he hasn’t been a starting TE in the NFL. I am willing to watch him continue to improve and not get “nauseated “ because he is listed at TE 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar