Titans hire Mike Vrabel as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KyTitansFan, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 305phonzo

305phonzo Starter

He could move sideways. So he can have play calling on his resume.

2. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Another former Badger RB (Clement) showing up in postseason.

3. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

The duties don't matter. You can't hire a coordinator that is under contract with another team as your coordinator. Only if it's a promotion. IE, the title must be something better then coordinator.

Maybe there's a loophole where a team can add something like assistant coach to a coordinators title and get by with it...I'm not sure...but I doubt that ever happens.

4. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Right, which is why I wanted an offensive minded guy as my preference for HC... that was the entire point of my post.

5. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I’m sure he probably was.

If I’m an nfl gm, I would always have a short list of coaches in my head just in case. Someone would always be at the top of that list.

People act like jrob had never given a single thought to who he would hire as coach until the job became vacant.

Hell, this was his first hire. He’s probably known who he wanted for a long time. I’m sure most gm’s do.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Right. I'm sure Robinson had a list in his pocket when he flew in to Nashville for the first time, just hoping that he would get to can Mularkey and hire his own guy. No GM wants to be saddled to coaches they had no say in.

7. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

You don’t. You hire a coordinator who is good and wants to be a HC soon. And you tell him to bring a protégée in as QB coach (or WR or whatever) and train him to replace you.

8. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

They can deny access to anyone unless you are interviewing them for head coach. Promotion doesn’t matter.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Exactly. Wildly successful experienced head coaches aren’t sitting around waiting to be hired.

You pretty much have to choose between a retread former head coach that has been fired somewhere before. Or a young up and comer coordinator.

I’m glad to finally see us go the latter route, as we have always been a stop on the retread circuit.

One thing I’ll say about Jrob, is he’s been intent on bringing in his type of guys from day one, building a culture, football players, toughness, workers. He thinks Vrabel is the guy to lead that culture.

I’m excited to see it happen. Could be the beginning of something special around here.

And hey. If it fails, it’s not like we haven’t seen that show a dozen times. I’m glad to at least be swinging for the fences with potential for a change.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I know. But if a coordinator is under contract with Team A, Team B can't even try to hire them for the same position even if Team A would allow it. That's my point...

I keep seeing people imply calling the plays would be a promotion for an OC that doesn't call plays for their current team but would for a team interested in them as OC. The Title would still be OC so it wouldn't be allowed no matter what.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar