Titans hire Chris Harris as new CB’s coach

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KyTitansFan, Jan 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

dont know who Byard is, but yeah he is otherwise seemingly doing well

2. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

They should only get half a draft pick lol

3. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Race was brought in because until 15-20 years ago coaching staffs and upper management were essentially a white mens club. Since these types of rules were put in place, dozens of qualified black coaches and executives have gotten looks they may not have gotten before. Remember, they don’t reward the team that HIRES them, they reward the team that developed them. Big difference. They’re not “penalizing for hiring white”.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

There also weren’t a lot of young coaches 15-20 years ago. There was not rule for a youth movement.

While I understand there may have been some racist ownership/management just that short amount of time ago, I don’t recall any lawsuits for racially selecting anyone which has been illegal far longer than 15-20 years ago.
    Even so, isn’t rewarding a team for choosing someone by race, by definition racist?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  6. Young54

Young54 Starter

Not arguing for or against the rule. Just curious... You don't think there are any racist owners/mangers?

7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I’d say statistically there probably are some and I believe there are different levels of racist despite the definition, but there are legalities that were written decades ago regarding discrimination. I can’t recall any cases against a professional sports team that was suggested to have hired one person over another until after this rule was implemented.

now I’m not oblivious to how money, media, and time have affected this possibility, but I would say the likelihood of this happening and staying quiet, whether a legal case was presented or not, within the last 40 years or so is pretty unbelievable and getting more so every day with the technology advances and ease in which to advertise this and how many media outlets would take even a mild suggestion and run wild with it.

Edit: should probably clarify. I just don’t think the Rooney rule does what it was actually designed to do and I’m not sure it helped more than it has hurt.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Like I said, they don’t reward the team that hired them. The Titans are getting nothing for hiring Ran. They’re rewarding teams that spend years developing coaches and executives. This will get things a little more balanced. It’s already having an effect in my opinion and hopefully in a few years the league will be at a place where they can eliminate the rule.

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

You can’t reward them for developing minority people without penalizing them for developing white people. That’s the truth no matter how you spin it. Minority candidate getting hired equals a reward in draft capital, white candidate equals no reward in draft capital. That makes developing white candidates less appealing and that’s racist, but discrimination against whites is perfectly acceptable for some reason in today’s society. If you truly want to rid the system of racism, don’t make rules pertaining to race. Treat everyone as candidates instead of white candidates and black candidates. We’ve moved past that as Americans and rules like these just keep the racism flame burning brighter.

#119 KyTitansFan, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    • High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Chung: Called 'not right minority' in NFL job hunt

LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar