Titans have no money for Simmons

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RockyTop Fox, Nov 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sevenfeet

Sevenfeet Starter

Yes and no. We have a cap budget and part of the budget calculations are that you actually will pay the rookie contracts what you expected when they were signed. Part of the A.J. Brown problem was that he wanted to blow that up and the only way to pay him what he wanted was to blow up other players' deals. It was a price the organization felt they couldn't do at that time.

And Simmons has to know this....none of this is a secret. Of course at the end of the year, things will be different. Lewan's contract has an out and I suspect we were going to take it regardless of the Simmons situation. There may be other ways to pay Simmons too. It looks like the message to him was "We'd love to pay you, but we cannot do the deal RIGHT NOW."

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

The Rams have a lot of very good players. The Titans, not so much...

Sure, the Titans can just go pick a good QB off of the QB tree...that's how this works...

Willis will never be an NFL QB. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

The titans and all NFL teams have the money. The cap is basically 1/2 of the income to the teams. Money is not the problem. As far as the cap goes with Lewan and maybe even Woods gone free up 28 million there. I just do not believe this. Big Jeff is going to get his deal here. It just may not be next year.

4. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

If we lose AJ brown and Simmons in back to back years I'm done lol

5. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Also for those wanting to cut tanne what's the plan? Start Willis? Draft a first round QB? We have the worst oline in the NFL along with maybe the worst pass catching group as well. Willis/a rookie will get absolutely ruined playing here.

If we go the trade route like the Rams we have to give up draft capital for them, and then put them in a position with no line/receivers.

Tanne has his blemishes, but he is our best option for '23 by leaps and bounds.

Lewan, woods, Hooper are a different story. They're probably all gone next year, Cunningham too I would imagine.

• Cheers Cheers x 3
  6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I think other QBs may be available after this year, Derek Carr could be one BUT I also think THill gets a new contract to stay.

I know his cap hit drops significantly for next year, but I think JRob will stretch it out again and a much lower cost than the last contract numbers.

7. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Derrick carr is just Ryan Tannehill with darker hair who would have to learn our system. At best a lateral move

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

only good thing about signing DCarr would be knowing David would crap his pants every time he saw his brother in 2 tone blue

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

And mascara

• LOL LOL x 2
  10. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I just threw up in my mouth

• LOL LOL x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar