Titans cut Adoree Jackson and Dennis Kelly

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Stop using logic!!!

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I wasn't for drafting Conklin and wasn't for drafting Wilson...unless the guy can truly be a LT then I'm not drafting him in the first rnd. I'm also not paying my RT as the 2nd highest paid RT in the league.

3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Well you're not the GM so you don't have to worry about it then lol

• LOL LOL x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

We have some agreements here.
    I also think it was a waste to pick RT in the first last year. That’s regardless of Wilson being that particular guy. I didn’t want any OL in the first.
    Beasley be a waste of the money saved not re-signing Conklin is hindsight. I like the attempt with Beasley/clowney but it was a miserable failure.

as far as value for Conklin, I think there is some argument he was overpaid because of his performance the 2nd year after his injury but not drastically overpaid. I just don’t think the Titans had the money to spend on him knowing they had to address the pass rush.
    Clearly JRob was happy with what Kelly brought for cheaper anyway, at least until his “prospect” developed which he never did. Ultimately Kelly did pretty well for the season despite a game or 2 (including the playoff game) where he was beaten.
    I still like not having Conklin on the CAP especially considering how many other players just had to be cut and all the “restructure” comments for like the entire roster that I’ve seen around here.

I think those general 1st round % numbers are fine but don’t go into every case by case situation. It’s just the titans cap availability and the overall cost for Conklin didn’t match up. Not saying overpaid, not saying titans wouldn’t/didn’t value him but just had to make some financial cuts to improve the team in other areas. Conklin was just the cap casualty.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I am hoping if JRob and Co. think we need more help at RT that they do it through FA after the draft. Kelly is still out there, we could offer him a team friendly deal to come back. There's also Fisher and Schwartz who played for KC last year.

All that being said, I thought Sambrailo was descent last year filling in for Lewan. He may even be better on the right side. I say we are set at OT anyway.

6. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

Agreed. I think we're done at OT.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Well, I don't put much into anything PFF ranks but he was ranked the #45th OT his third season (where he played only nine games). During that season, Conk had a concussion along with the knee issues which put him on the IR.

Remember that JRob has to make a decision on whether or not he's going to pick up the fifth-year option BEFORE his fourth season.

Now, JRob certainly could have signed him to a long-term deal before he hit free agency but Kelly looked solid replacing Conk when he was out. JRob saves $$$ with minimal decline in play (if sacks and Henry's rushing yards are any indication) so he can sign Henry and Tanny to long-term deals.

I think Kelly was to be a stop-gap/insurance for a couple of seasons. I don't understand using a #1 at OT last season either but, I assume, JRob didn't plan on him starting until this season and wanted Panda to get some experience last season.

With needs at CB and WR, I hope to hell an OT isn't picked in the first after releasing Kelly and signing Lamm.

Would I love to have Conklin? You bet. But we have to remember, at the time JRob decided to pass on him and keep Kelly, it looked like the right move because of some serious cap decisions to make on the horizon. Obviously, Panda was a bad pick but few called it bad when it was made.

I seriously question releasing Kelly but there must be more going on we don't know about.

8. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Theres every chance the 2nd year of Conklins deal is more than $14m on the cap.

Also, hindsight. This paragraph is full of hindsight.

The majority were happy with letting Conklin go 12 months ago, everyone recognised we needed more pass rush.

No one really beefed with letting Conklin go in order to chase pass rush in FA. Obviously it turned out very badly, and if he had his time again JRob would surely have either signed other pass rushers, or kept Conklin and drafted pass rush instead of Wilson. Probably the latter.

You could have the same conversation about every other team in the league over a 5-year period.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yeah...

Titans put a value on Conklin, like they always do, and made an economic decision to watch him leave. Its what the Titans do.

They are usually correct... but looks like possibly this time they might not have been

10. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

This 3rd round COMP has to be an absolute home run.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar