Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's all true but it shouldn't impact his mechanics and accuracy. It should not impact his ability to move in the pocket.

I'm a fan of Marcus' but, at some point, he has to play at a consistently higher level. If he can't, the Titans will never be playing deep into January.

The OP asked what the Titans needed to do to take it to the next level. IMO, the #1 thing that has to happen is better QB play.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  2. Afc46

Afc46 Oilers/Titans HoFer

He reminds me so very much of Warren Moon. He's first few years had me questioning if he would ever "get" it , and his third year was brutal 13 TDs and twenty something Ints. 4th year some "improvement" but it seemed like something clicked his 5th season , after that a Hall of Fame career.

3. TitanJeff

We'll get a chance to see him play, at least, one more season and we can all agree that it'll be a wonderful thing if it all clicks.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Or on the other side of that coin we could end up like the Jags with Bortles

5. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

well, another wr would be great, ol play that resulted in an effective running game, a TE, DL play, would be higher on the list for me to worry about...IMO

6. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Tennessee has the 26th ranked OL and they're DEAD LAST in pass protection. You can blame Mariota all you want but he has had NO time to make plays this year.

The "elite quarterbacks" also have the top pass protecting O-lines. Coincidence?

Top OL in pass protection & QB

1. PIT - Toothlessburger
    2. NE - Brady
    3. NO - Brees
    4. IND - Luck
    5. BAL - Flacco/ Jackson
    6. KC - Mahomes
    7. MIN - Cousins
    8. LAR - Goff
    9. LAC - Rivers
    10. CAR - Newton

32. TEN - Mariota

Put any of those guys behind our O-line and their numbers on the year get cut in half. Guaranteed.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I agree with everything except Cousins has sucked

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

How can ANY QB be consistent when your scheme isn’t? Route trees, progressions, blocking schemes etc all effect timing which requires familiarity even with HOF QBs. Winning has been put on Mariota since day one. And our run game has been every bit as inconsistent as our OL play.

We’d be foolish to not extend Mariota if it can be done in line with recent QB standards.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. TitanJeff

I'm not saying replace Mariota. I was just answering the question of the OP which was what was needed for the Titans to go to the next level.

We have needs at interior OL, TE, NT and OLB.

10. TitanJeff

None of that played into him throwing stupid picks the last two games (and many others previously). None of that plays into him sailing passes over receivers on 15 yard out routes to the right side.

These are complete reflections of Mariota's mechanics/accuracy or lack thereof.

He'll have '19 to prove himself. If he can, then the Titans will give him a massive deal and it'll be deserved.

If the Titans faced that decision today, I don't know if they'd do it or should.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar