Thoughts on a potential trade for OJ Howard

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by J Falk, Mar 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Falk

J Falk Starter

Without a doubt, would you rather have Howard or Delanie and Daquon Jones If that was an option?

2. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Howard....i want to get younger

Daquon played a role well but I think Autry is a better fit. And we could add a DT in the draft as well?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

From probably the biggest Firk fan on the board, OJH is better. I’m all for getting him as cheap as possible. He’s got a lot of tread left on his tires.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. J Falk

J Falk Starter

I agree that Daquon isn't nearly as good as many people in here believe him to be. I also think he's less than ideal as a true Nose Tackle. A guy like Danny Shelton would be a better fit in my eyes. 6'2 344 lbs. Maybe we can get him for a milli. Daquon wouldnt be a horrible pickup, id just prefer someone a lil younger and stouter In the middle. I'm probably going to dig in deep doing some analysis on Nose Tackles and Tight Ends for the draft here soon. Because honestly these could all be out of the question due to the cap.

#14 J Falk, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Where in the world are you getting that he would sign $2m deal? Jonnu just got $30M guaranteed. Gerald Everett got a 1 year, $6M deal. Even Jeff Swaim signed back with us for $2.5M! There is no world where a 99th percentile, 1st round pick would sign for $2M.

As for his contract, he's a first round pick, so this year is being played on a 5th year option. None of his rookie signing bonus goes against the 5th year, because it was paid for over the course of the first 4 years of the contract. The 5th year is a stand alone year, where the money is all guaranteed against injury, but not paid out through bonuses. The player is paid the money in their game checks, week by week. So until he plays the games, he gets no money. If he is traded before he plays a game, the team that he is traded to would be liable for those game checks.

6. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Exactly. 5th year options became fully guaranteed last week which is why we cut Adoree the day before. Honestly, I was shocked the Bucs didn’t cut Howard the day before too considering all the money they’re spending on Brate and Gronk. They can’t cut him, only trade him with the $6 mil contract.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. J Falk

J Falk Starter

OJ Howard has finished every season on the IR. I don't think it's possible to actually get him for 2 million, just said that was ideal.

8. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I would see them as more likely to cut Brate than Howard now. His $6.5M against the cap would carry almost no dead cap.

I would not mind adding him at all if they did. We could (probably) be the first team in NFL history to have two players from Harvard playing the same position.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Dangermode

I read Bucs would want a second for Brate or Howard.

Um, no.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • WTF?! WTF?! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Dangermode

We should sign Richard Rodgers instead. He was dope for the Eagles and I love alliterative names.

PFF actually has him as the 2nd highest graded tight end last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar