The Freeze

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hormesis, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I have never posted a thread on this site, but today is a different day. I live in Virginia, and I am an avid game hunter. We have been hit with a cold that I myself of 44 years have not witnessed in this state, nor has my father for many years past my own. I went to hunt whitetails during this event with the temperature at -3 degrees, with a wind at 5-10 mph. I skied Utah for 8 years in my youth (lived it skiing 120 days a year), and I have never experienced cold such as this. Our air here in Virginia contains far more moisture than that of the west, making it by far more formidable, as I found out today. I saw no game. However, I was surrounded by woodpeckers, of three different species. It was as if I was in a Discovery documentary (a spectacle). I could not feel my toes within an hour on site, and after 4 hours, my feet were clubs. My hands could not untie a knot, and I knew it was time to go. However, this woodpecker thing was a true gift, it was special! Dozens of them were within an acre of me. They were everywhere! One pecked on a small branch, maybe the size of a broom handle 40' above my head, and I could feel it positively on my back as a lay against the tree. It was a wonderful experience, just to witness it all, and then as I started my half mile trek out, it hit me... Bastogne! Here I am, an American living life wonderfully! I can't feel my feet, my hands now are useless, but I am here on my own. As I was walking out, thinking of all that pecking (it sounded like machine guns firing with all these birds), I thought about the men that set the world free! I thought of these men with a much larger purpose, with little choice, that were the point of victory with much suffering, the freezing with little food against an enemy on all fronts. Without these men, you and I would be a lampshade or maybe a bar of soap! I thank our fighting men every day for what I have, and for what I hold dear! It's good to be an American! I am thankful for my father, his father, and the father before his, that gave me the life that I have today. Frozen forever!

• High Five High Five x 5
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I do much better in the heat than I do the cold.

Cold just beats on your moral if you don’t want to be out there, heat just pisses you off.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Living in Cheeseheadland this is old hat for me, but yeah, the way that the cold snap has spread east and south this year has been pretty wicked.

Just looking forward to the south move in the near future LOL...

4. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Just be aware...southern drivers are idiots in snow/sleet situations...not really their fault...they just aren't used to it.

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Agree with that....actually used to live down there. Worst drivers in snow I ever encountered was in western Kentucky, however.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

similar landscape and weather so not surprising...btw, just know when visiting the Chattanooga area....turn signals are extremely optional.

7. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

this guy had an existential revelation while near death lol

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

woodpeckers are crazy... had one peck a hole in my porch once. Dude there are no bugs inside the post on my porch!

I had to use wood filler and repaint the dang porch - LOL

stupid wooodpecker

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I'm not too worried about the lampshade or soap thing. I'm not jewish.

10. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I was so hammered when I typed this...lol...still riding the wave of victory! Holy sh*t it was at 5:30 in the morning. I missed work the next day. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar