Smitty's Week Six Titan Preview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Smitty46953, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Smitty’s 2007 Titans Preview​

Week Six

Tennessee Titans (3-1) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-2)​

Date & Time: Sunday October 14, 2007 @ 1:00 pm est.
    TV: CBS HD Regional
    Where: Raymond James Stadium,
    4201 N. Dale Mabry Highway
    Tampa, FL 33607
    Ticket Office: 813-350-6501 or 800-795-2827
    Capacity: 65,857
    Surface: Natural Grass
    Odds: Buccaneers -3, Over/Under 37.5
    Last Meeting: Buccaneers 13 @ Titans 33 (12/28/2003)
    Last Week: Buccaneers 14 @ Colts 33
    Titans Bye Week

Last Weeks Games: The Titans had a bye week during week 5 while the Buccaneers were defeated by the Indianapolis Colts by a 33-14 margin.
    The Game: The Tennessee Titans have owned the series against Tampa Bay, winning seven of the teams' eight all-time meetings. The Buccaneers have lost five straight in the series since beating the Houston Oilers 33-24 on Nov. 27, 1983. These teams have not met since 2003 with the Titans taking that match up at home 33-13. A win this Sunday would be the team's sixth straight on the road and establish a franchise record for consecutive road wins.
    The Tennessee Titans have one of the best rushing defenses in the NFL. Tennessee’s defense is the only team not to allow a point in the fourth quarter through four games.They are off to their best start since their last playoff season. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are still at the top of their division despite the loss of their top two running backs Cadillac Williams and Michael Pittman. Tennessee will be going for their fourth win in five games while the Buccaneers look to overcome their injury woes and remain on top of the NFC South when the teams meet at Raymond James Stadium this Sunday. The Titans have a good chance at continuing their success against the Buccaneers (3-2), whose rushing game has been decimated by the above mentioned injuries over the last two weeks. The Buccaneers have also been impressive defensively, but they struggled last Sunday to contain one of the league's most potent offenses when they visited the defending Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts. Tampa gave up season highs in rushing yards, passing yards, and points in their loss.

Buccaneer Keys for Success:

1. Keep Vince Young Pinned inside: The Titans do less in the passing ga,me than most teams, but because of Young's ability to run, Tampa’s outside linebackers Derrick Brooks and Cato June will be spying Young when he rolls out or runs the ball their way. If Young can get outside, he can overpower both Barber and Buchanon. The Buc’s Defensive ends Kevin Carter and Greg Spires also need to keep from getting blocked from the outside so they can stretch plays to the sideline when Young does get outside and runs the ball.

2. Utilize Passing Game to Set-Up the Run: Having Jeff Garcia at QB allows the Bucs to be more creative with their offensive game plan. Garcia’s use of the play action pass not only helps his receivers find seams between the linebackers and secondary, but it gives Bucs center John Wade and guards Davin Joseph and Arron Sears better blocking angles past the line in the running game by forcing the Titan linebackers Bulluck, Thornton and Fowler to respect the pass. This should help the interior linemen in springing Buc running back Earnest Graham for some gains.

3. Keep Utilizing the Tight End: Jeff Garcia has picked a favorite wide receiver Joey Galloway, especially when he wants to go long. The Bucs other wideouts Ike Hilliard, Michael Clayton and Maurice Stovall all do a nice job of running crossing patterns in the Buccaneer short game. However to be successful the Bucs need to take advantage of tight end Alex Smith who is a very good athlete with receiving talent. Smith, who scored on two TD receptions against my Colts in Week 5, is a great target for Garcia because he is strong enough to catch the ball in traffic and is also fast enough to cause problems for a slower linebacker such as Thornton, who will not be able to stay with Smith on deeper routes.

Titans Keys for Success:

1. Apply Pressure to Buccaneer QB Jeff Garcia: The Bucs' quarterback likes for the pocket to move to the right, where he can take advantage of his scrambling ability, thus allowing time for his receivers to find open seams within the coverage. The Titans must counting on defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch to get in the face of Garcia when he moves in his direction. The Titans must try to make Garcia throw before he wants, which will allow the Titans linebackers such as Keith Bulluck the opportunity for a big play.

2. Follow your Center: The Titans' running game can be effective against the Bucs this week if they have their running backs LenDale White and Chris Brown follow center Kevin Mawae and guards Jacob Bell and Benji Olson straight ahead against defensive tackles Chris Hovan and Jovan Haye and middle linebacker Barrett Ruud. The Titans need to wear down the Bucs and establish their offense.

3. Stretch the Field: The Titans QB Vince Young hasn't been very effective when he sets up to throw the ball, but he still puts a lot of pressure on defenses because of his running ability. Tampa’s cornerbacks Ronde Barber and Phillip Buchanon will cheat closer to the line to help keep Young from getting to the outside, while safeties Jermaine Phillips and Will Allen will be expected to help fill against runs inside the tackles. If the Titans effectively run the ball, they will soften the secondary and give wide receiver Brandon Jones a chance to get downfield and force man to man coverage. Jones it seems has stepped up to become Young's favorite for big plays.

Some Match-Ups to Watch:

Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth vs. Tampa guard Arron Sears: The rookie offensive lineman will surely get a lot of help from center John Wade and could benefit from Haynesworth's ankle injury suffered against Atlanta but I doubt it. I look for Haynesworth to continue to stuff the running game and collapse the pocket.Tennessee has played very well against the run all season and will not let up against the Bucs' and their number 3 option at running back.

Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan vs. Buccaneers wide receiver Joey Galloway: The Titans are all about stopping big plays, and Galloway is the Bucs’ big play threat averaging over 17 yards per reception.
    My Take: The Bucs have to put the game in the hands of QB Jeff Garcia, particularly since their running game is ruined. Garcia will need some help from the running game Sunday, however I do not look for them to get it as the Titan defense should be able to shut them down. Offensively, Tennessee hopes for a turnaround from QB Vince Young while looking to build everything off the run. LenDale White and Chris Brown haven't been great the last few weeks but should rebound nicely against the Bucs.

Smitty’s Prediction:

Titans 24 Buccaneers 10
    :))

2. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Tennessee isn't coming off a bye week, they beat Atlanta. Good prediction.

3. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

OOOPPPs my bad :))

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Nice theory, but I don't buy it. Firstly, Tampa doesn't have enough depth at receiver or TE to put us in that mind-set. We aren't going to go Nickel or dime to have extra DBs covering Alex Smith or Anthony Becht.

We'll roll coverage to wherever Galloway lines up and Hilliard will get some single coverage looks, but I see us playing more man rather than having Bulluck or Thornton dropping into passing lanes.

Secondly, Gruden loves to throw. To be honest, I don't think he has the patience to run the football for 4 quarters, regardless of the score. They will miss Pittman more than Cadillac. Pittman was the crucial component of their offense because of his receiving skills.

I see Gruden abandoning the run early and Garcia will throw 35+ passes. Even then, I expect us to stay in our base D and hold them to short gains.

We won't blow them away, but if we score 20 points and don't turn the ball over, I like our chances.

5. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Rep button Smitty ... nice post!

bye thing was kinda weak though:suspect:

6. Blazing Arrow

One of my concerns is that Chucky has owned us in the past .... really badly ....

I was in the Black Hole for the trouncing of the Titans in '04.

Don't get me wrong it does not take much to rattle Garcia and I think AH with his eyes firmly focused on a contract :suspect: (he needs an incentive based contract ... I have worked with slugs like this .... $$ is what matters and if they need to haul for it they seem too; reference this season vs every other disappointing seasons.)

So I think we will dominate because contract hungry AH will be on the prowl ...

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Nice post Smitty, i was expecting you to predict 34 - 10 though :grrhee:

8. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

I seriously thought about it... I will next week when do the Colts vs Jags preview... :))

9. reo

reo Starter

For starters Gruden wasn't coaching the Raiders in '04. He's been in Tampa since '02.

And when it comes to Haynesworth, personally I don't think its all about the contract. There was an article last year around the time he got suspended about him saying one of the main things he was getting frustrated about in games were a lot of the slightly dirty things linemen would do to block and how he'd started working w/ Smith on some new things... imo its been these new techniques he's been focusing on and an offseason to work on them that has really helped him. He also said that he's using his hands a lot more this year b/c in years past he'd just slam into the linemen but now he's using his hands more to keep his distance which also makes it so he takes less of a beating.... so imo although the contract year has helped... its the new techniques and use of his hands that have really improved his game and now that he's using them... i don't think he'd suddenly stop just b/c he got a new contract.

10. Blazing Arrow

You are right ... lol must be getting old .. I just assumed it was the last time we went to the playoffs. The Raiders SB year with the cracked out C was the year I was in the hole. Fun times but being with 10 other people helps allot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar