Should the Titans have kept Fisher?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 6, 2014.

?
  1. Yes.

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No.

65 vote(s)
    83.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

As others have mentioned.. Fisher's later years and Munchak were symptoms of a bigger problem.

BA gave Fisher too much power..then decided that he, himself, would play the trump card and hand pick VY. Inconsistent leadership from the very top, because he was desperate to get a SB, and desperate to get back at Houston, IMO. Desperation is a stinky cologne.

BA effectively ruined good relations for both VY and Fisher, and set the rift into motion. That essentially ruined 2006 up until Fisher was let go.

There was the anomaly 2008 season, where the players played lights-out.

Then back to the bottom. Fisher's time was done, partly fueled by the VY saga. Definitely partly Fisher's fault, too.

Then BA's headscratcher of the Munchak Hire. I think that has been sufficiently covered.

So, No. Do not want to relive the Fisher drama for one more second of my life. Not that it was all Fisher's fault.. but

a.Jeff was afforded too much pull in the franchise.

and

b. Adams undid his own doings by forcing VY, effectively dismantling the franchise's stability. And then, once it fell apart.. handed it to a completely underqualified individual.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

This thread is like a mistreated woman. "My new boyfriend turned out to be a jerk... I never should have left Jeff! Yeah, things sucked, but I miss him!"

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Well said. "Desperate" is probably THE word that would best describe Bud's final 10 years or so controlling this team.

Desperation kept Fisher around for so long. And desperation kept him from doing a full house cleaning when Fisher finally did move on. No one will ever convince me that Bud truly believed Munch was the best man for the job. I believe he knew his years were numbered (he was right) so he opted not to rebuild the right way.

He instead thought he could continue on with what Fisher built, with some tweaking, and make it to the promised land. He was wrong. Most of us knew he was wrong. But he was desperate to see a championship before he died. I think the hire was motivated by selfishness and he put his own desires above what was truly best for the team and the fans. However, I can't honestly say I blame him and it was his right as the owner of the team.

4. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

:cj:"I miss coach Fish...think I'll go to da Rams and things like dat."

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

Would you blame him? He had put up career numbers and things like dat under fish

6. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

No. Even if he lucks into drafting the best QB in the draft and the Rams win their division (and dbc returns to annoy the hell out of us) he is still a decent coach who ran his course in Tennessee; just because Munchek failed doesn't change that.

7. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Well, if the question was "Should the Titans have kept Fisher?", then I would say no.

But considering we hired a guy that had/has no business coaching anything other than the O-line.....

No, Fisher is at least a capable head coach.

8. nickmsmith

Right.

If the question was: "Is fisher a better coach than Munchak?" Then the answer is a resounding YES. Fisher could get fired today and have a head coaching job tomorrow. Munchak will never, ever be a candidate for a NFL HC job again, unless something magical happens for him.

That's enough evidence right there.

But yeah. The question was "Should we have kept Fisher?" The answer is a resounding NO. Fisher brings at least guaranteed mediocrity, but not much else. the ceiling is low.

While a new coach may be a total bust.. there is a high ceiling for the first time since the early 2000s. We knew Collins was not going to be a sustainably good franchise QB, even on his good days.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

No they should've fired fisher 5 years earlier

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. nickmsmith

HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE REGIME, FAKE FAN!!!!

just kidding. you make sense here for once.

:)

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar