Should iPods be banned from the sidelines in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Silly question, I know... but a while back, I saw that OchoStinko wanted to tweet during a game. Maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges, but if he can't use a cell phone... Why are iPods allowed?

I understand the iPod thing might be more of a team rule, but when I saw Vince sittin on the sidelines listening to his iPod, I was a little upset. Granted, that was one shot of an entire football game, out of an entire season but I think the technology standard should be an even playing field when it comes to personal handheld technology. Not just cell phones.

Sure, with an iPod, you aren't communicating with anyone and its more an entertainment tool than a communications tool, but I think the rule banning cell phones from playing during game time should be expanded to all personal electronics.

Lets be honest, which NFL player is going to use a cell phone to tip off another team? Sure, the sports better the player is talking to may have an edge, but when you think about it.. Not really. The player on the sideline may know the play, and know the team strategy, but what happens on the field is completely up to chance.

I really dont have a preference whether or not players have personal handheld electronics on the sidelines, I just think that it makes sense for the ban to cover all electronics, or no electronics. Not just cell phones.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

you realize you are suggesting a ban on coaching headsets?

3. World Peace

let me clarify. When I said electronics, I meant personal handheld electronics. Coaching headsets = grapes... if I'm talking about comparing apples and oranges.

2nd edit: Personal Handheld Consumer Electronics.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

i just threw that out there as a red herring.

I look at communication tools as a distraction.
    I look at mp3/music player as harmless and a means of focus.

i am in favor of the double standard.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

what about the psp?

[​IMG]

i would ban this... no benefit imo.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I see what you're saying. I both agree and disagree.
    As for personal electronic devices, if they want to listen to music instead of watching the game and/or learning, that should be all on them. If they can skip practices/training camp sessions, etc., why not let them listen to music during games?
    HOWEVER, going right along with your argument of communications...if they are capable of connecting to the internet (which I think a PSP is), then they should be prohibited. Kinda like you can use a cell phone/PDA on an airplane, just as long as it's not 'transmitting/receiving'.

7. World Peace

Well it also comes back to an inadvertent advertisement for the company making the device. I'm sure Apple isn't complaining... Does the NFL want to be seen as endorsing a product that it doesn't actually officially endorse? An iPod contains a processor in it, and a touch has wifi capabilities and whos to say that there can't be a security breach of some sort. Sure, these guys are football players, not hackers, but you gotta admit, some of these guys are smart and no one would ever know.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

I'm not advocating listening to music but I don't necessarily view it as a distraction. Audible stimulation could have a positive impact. It could heighten senses, keep the heart rate up.. I don't know... I wish I was a doctor so I could have a little credibility here... I could see a linebacker standing, watching the offense, thinking about getting in the game... If he's got his sideline cap on, holding his helmet jamming Megadeth or something... he's just staying pumped mentally... if the special teams comes out and punts he throws the mp3 player in his sideline cap, sets it on the pine, slams his hat on, buckles up and takes his place out on the field to defend... I really don't see the issue. You present it as if he's choosing to listen to music over watching the game when he can actually do both. Listening to the music might open his mind to put him in a place to better learn or teach himself something.

Let me concede something... A guy like VY in that position had no business listening to anything but maybe an OC headset. Hey now, if rap music gets Tulloch on his game... what is the harm in that?

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

It's a valuable coaching tool. Norm Chow hit the "Ask Madden" button about every play.

• High Five High Five x 4
  10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

With all the shenanigans going on on sidelines (Like Greg Ellis' Bullcrap) I think there should be a mandatory ban on non-football related things. People are jacking around enough as it is, without music. Most people know that there are always meetings and things on the sideline with position coaches, and you may not hear it if you're fooling around on the ipod. If it's not allowed in High School or College, it shouldn't be allowed in the NFL. They've got 6 other days a week, and the rest of their Sunday to listen to an ipod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar