Pick 116 of the 2019 NFL Draft: Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

Hooker is not just a safety, he played nickel a lot. I think this addition allows us a lot of versatility on defense. Wouldn't be surprised to see multiple safety set. A buddy of mine is a Iowa grad and diehard fan. He said they basically created a position for Hooker and is a ball Hawke and has a knack for making plays.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

does anyone know the reason Amani fell?... seems too good to be true.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Fell from where? PFF are the only ones I know of that had a 2nd round grade on him. Zwerlein for instance had a grade on him that would be 3rd or 4th round pick. Take into account that S's are an under valued position like OC (except for this draft). I thought he'd go between 3rd and 4th round and he did.

Physically the only negatives he has are his height, his short arms, and lack of strength. Only one of those can he change (getting stronger). He has great preparation and vision which let's him react quickly and make some great plays. He is a high effort player and was given a hybrid role to maximize his impact...and he did! Question is, can he play that type of role and make that kind of impact in the NFL.

We'll find out soon enough.

I think we'll see him start at special teams and S and see how he does. But he can certainly play in sub packages...especially in zone on the second layer of the defense.

4. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

He will definitely be used on nickel and pass plays. I agree they will use him on special teams and get him comfortable. He was a good pickup because we don’t know how healthy Vaccaro will stay, and Cruk was hurt too. This solidifies the position.

5. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

this guy is about to steal cruikshanks jerb!

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

lol idk about that. I think Shank still is ahead of him

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

for now, i dont think itll be long before he gets jumped though.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

maybe, Shank is still more versitile. Hooker is more of a role player.

9. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

I saw he was pegged 40th-44th on the board.. and he was selected at 116... There's got to be something..... was just curious, cause from my perspective, he checks all the boxes. He's a very Kevin Byard, Derwin James style player. A Major center fielder, with a bit of a Hybrid blend. This, of itself, is probably the biggest steal we've had in any draft... ever.

The best cover grade from the slot since '16 (pff) is also valuable if we choose to replace a different player (Logan Ryan for example) ..... he definitely has the speed to hold that position.

I put him ahead of Simmons simply because of the two red flags, be the severity and whether he's a change man or not it's still there.... Amani has no red flags from my recollection.

Now, again... time will only tell. He could totally bomb, and in 3-4 years we're scoffing at the pick.... but Amani has the potential to be a pro bowler, and a mid round-cheaper guy to get Vacc off the books (if his production stays vanilla)

10. DaCost

DaCost Starter

Vaccaro and L.Ryan injury hurt last season this pick gives us depth at basically 2 positions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar