Official HC Search Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SanDiegoTitan, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Starter

I'm still holding out hope that my baby will be coaching the Titans next year. Too much disinformation flying around right now. I know JRob wants McDaniels and I still maintain some confidence that he can get him.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

But the Giants interviewed him and basically didn't want him although they said he interviewed well. Seemed like he was behind Patricia, McDaniels, and Shurmur and the Giants were determined to get one of those. He's also only 'technically' been a DC this year.

I do see what you're talking about. Sounds like a straight forward guy like Tomlin with personality. Also has a commanding presence.

3. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

So what if some of these guys didnt call the plays. Calling the plays on game day is just a small piece of what an OC does. Even if these guys didn't call the plays, they still DESIGNED THE PLAYS and wrote the playbook! They also taught the offense how to run them, coached players up, built an offensive identity, gameplanned for opposing defenses each week and brought in the right position staff to help them win. Basically everything Robiskie forgot to do.

As we saw in the first two fan called plays of the season, it doesn't always matter who calls the plays, as long as the plays themselves are well designed.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Defilippa has an expiring contract and is a QB coach so he could simply be hired to become the OC (if Eagles don't do it first). They run an offense that takes advantage of Wentz's mobility...but he's not the playcaller.

Reich is also more under Pederson as an OC, but Pederson calls the plays.

LaFleur was a QB coach with Matt Ryan and OC under McVay...though McVay calls the plays. Still, he's learned under Shanahan in Atlanta and McVay (who was also under Shanahan) with Rams.

Wilks has been a part of the Panthers top defenses and was the DC this past season. Sounds the part and reportedly would bring Defilippa with him as OC...which sounds very appealing. Unclear if titans would keep LeBeau and a 3-4 D as his Panthers ran a 4-3.

I think McDaniels is gone simply because he'd need to let assistants know if he was hiring them before they went somewhere else. We can't interview him til after the SB and by then it may be too late. And by then, we MAY have a new HC already. I'm sure JRob knows whether McDaniels would hold off and interview with Titans or if he's locked on the Colts.

Vrabel comes from the Pats culture and has played through that culture so I can see why JRob would want to interview him.

I don't see us hiring Reich personally. Defilippa sounds like he's had more hands on with Wentz but neither called plays. It's also not inconceiveable that we could simply hire Defilippa as our QB coach if we outbid the Eagles if they didn't extend him.

I think LaFleur is the more interesting guy since he was Ryan's QB coach under Shanahan and now OC under McVay. Even though he didn't call plays, he knows the system well. Problem is, how do you get him here without making him HC? Or is he ready to be a HC?

Would also be interesting to see what JRob wants to do with LeBeau. Does he want someone who will keep LeBeau or someone to bring in an entirely new staff? Would we go back to a 4-3 if we hired Wilks?

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

None of these guys wrote the playbook. Pederson learned under Andy Reid and has tinkered with that playbook. McVay runs Shanahan's playbook though he too has tinkered. Of course LaFleur and Reich would have input on game planning, and coaching the players up (as would Defilippa).

Playcalling is a very important trait and part of gameplanning...but good coaches make halftime decisions and great coaches make adjustments in between possessions!

Not having playcalling experience isn't usually a deal breaker...but inserts risk.

I'm more of a fan of Shanahan's offense, Atlanta was #1 under Shanahan and Rams were also #1 under McVay this year in points.

This is gonna get interesting!

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. ICBW

ICBW MILF Hunter

LANE KIFFIN FOR HEAD COACH

:trophy::trophy::trophy:

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Yeah. I heard it second hand which they got the info wrong

8. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Wich opens up a whole another argument on what our future HC plans to do? Call plays or have his OC do it? I tend to agree with you though, I think its far more important building a great playbook for our players than having to worry about if they ever called plays before. Its been proven just because you have experience as a play caller doesnt make you a genius, we also found that with Whisenhunt. Sure experience wouldnt hurt but it isnt a make or break thing.

9. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Big Ben is a low character loser. This guy is the perfect embodiment of why the Steelers underperform... Because their leader can’t ever hold himself accountable. Seeing this guy’s character on display makes it really easy to believe the dirty things in his past are true. Big Ben is complete loser. 100%.

10. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Dude has serious ability to throw an accurate long ball off balance though. That coupled with trust in his WR's...he just lobs it into double/triple coverage and they bring it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar