Offical gardening thread...!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RollTide, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Another thing about yellow squash.

The first round of squash are tiny, finger sized. They mature quickly and will actually get mushy on the vine even though they are so small. Go in and pick all those off and then the big ones will come after in bunches.

Also pick lots of flowers it encourages more growth. The flowers are great fried with cornmeal.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

well the 'maters are in, and in a big way. Still able to eat most of them, but will be overran soon.

squash and cucumbers still rolling in.

Finally got some fruit on my harbarnro plants. About 6-8 pods about the size of the last joint of your thumb. This is probably 4-5 more harbanaros than I can stand - lol

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I started planting in March. I've already been through 12 crookneck yellow squash plants... currently nursing a couple dozen okra plants... Traci made some gumbo with it a few days ago... I also just much on it raw straight from the tree while doing yard work. Already finished with about 30 Italian pole bean vines... they were excellent. Traci grew some kohl rabi... never had it before, but she cooked 'em up... the bulb has a broccoli/brussels sprout sort of consistency... very mild flavor... the greens are very much like mustard greens or collards. Good stuff!

Our banana trees are lame, but my neighbor produces boatloads, so they give them to us and get banana bread in return.... LOTS of banana bread. Traci has lots of herb plants, tomatoes, ong choy, peppers (habaneros), eggplant, and a few other exotic veggies.

Traci had never had turnips, but they're very hard to find here, so I got a couple of daikon (japanese radish) and made them southern-style: boiled, mashed, buttered, salt and pepper. She was AMAZED!... so now we're gonna try planting some daikon along with cucumbers, snap peas and fava beans. And just today I got an idea for a good place to grow a lilikoi vine.

We have a small yard, but we've figured out how to grow a lot on it.

4. avvie

More on yellow squash:

The first year I had them spaced well for the plant to spread out, and we got some good fruit for a while, but they were staying on the ground and rotting faster than I could get them.

This year I made some cages about 20" diameter with that aluminum wire fencing that has the rectangular grid of 2"x4" spaces. I gently pushed the leaves through the fencing every day, and the fruit stayed off the ground... I only lost 3 squash to pests or ground rot.

5. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

All I have to say is wow. Wow.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

whats the best time to plant watermelon seeds?

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

My first attempt at a small garden has been interesting. My two tomato plants are over 7ft and full of green tomatoes though only two have ripened so far. The cucumbers have not done well which I suspect is because the honkin', huge tomato vines block too much sun. I'll know better next year.

Same deal with the bell pepper. None yet as they've been overshadowed by the "Little Shop of Horrors" tomato plant.

I'll try to get a photo. It's really comical.

8. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I live and die by the aerogarden. Does anyone else own one? It's probably one of the cheapest and well built hydroponics kits on the market today.

9. avvie

Hydroponics is so 80's... aquaponics is the future ;)

10. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-nW5-hY840&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-nW5-hY840&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You can't mess with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar