Odom Wants to Stay in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We're going to see some crazy money being paid next week. If Odom is signed the first week, he'll probably end up being paid in the range of the top 10 DEs in the league. That's insane.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I agree. If there were better alternative out there, I would take them. But I just don't see much other than a big dropoff for us.

I think, at some point, you have to take the risk. I think this might be the situation were we have to pony up big money.

Another way to look at it, if we do this, is we could easily be faced with not re-signing KVB in a couple years when his contract expires.

Now, I'm a bigger fan of KVB and think he is the better player. But he will be older by then and it would give us some time through future drafts and Free agencies to find a good replacement.

It's a big risk either way. Lose Odom and possibly become notably worse on D-line this season? Or re-sign him for a monster contract, and deal with the cap hit on future seasons that could lead to tough choices on re-signing players in the future?

It's tough, but in our position I git-r-dun.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We will regret letting Odom go if we don't pay him top 10 DE in league money. He has enormous upside. We only saw flashes in year 1 because of the apnea and grief from his grandma dying. year 2 he was injured. Last year we saw the "real" Odom.

Somebody is going to get a great DE.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What makes you think last year wasn't his best season? Usually, top 10 DEs plays as such for more than a season.

Like the rest of the DL, he looked mediocre when Big Al was on the sidelines.

IMO, this isn't anything close to losing Kearse when we did though, in hindsight, the Eagles wish they had that deal back.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I agree. Take the money while it is there. Nothing in life is certain and money makes the world go round.

No one here wouldn't do the same thing.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I couldn't agree more.

Aside from Crumpler I see Odom re-signing as being our best FA option bar any trades we might make for a WR.

It took 4 years for Odom to become a force.IMO Albert was carrying the interior line not the DE's.Without an above average left end I don't think we'll be able to play KVB & Albert side by side as effectively & our D could revert to it's 06 form..

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

With Arizona and Cinci (reported) running a 3-4, I don't think it is likely either will sign Odom. He just doesn't fit in well in a 3-4 IMO.

I think if MR will give him a modest amount of money with incentives he will remain a Titan. It is possible that Minnesota will pick him up, but I don't think they can structure a deal that could beat a modest package w/incentives that we could put together. Come on Mike- make it happen. We need this guy.

LaBoy is either going to be a Brown or a Cardinal. He is a good fit at either place.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I agree with you Riverman. We just can't risk a step backwards on the D-line.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'd be willing to bet that Odom is more of a product of 3 other guys on the D line that kicked butt, but still the fact remains that he had a career year last year. So here's the problem the Titans have - Odom is generally considered the #2 DE FA (after Justin Smith). Smith signed a 6 year $45M deal ($7.5M / year). KVB I believe has a 4 year $21M deal ($5.25M). Someone is going to give Odom $5M/year it seems. Is Odom worth that? Not really. Can Washburn take someone like Ford/Conover and make them as productive as Odom? Probably - he's cranked out a string of over achieving D linemen. Could we use the extra 3-4 million a year on some other needs? Absolutely. Is a few million a year worth the gamble in disrupting a nice D line? Hmm... not so sure.

If healthy, we got a steal on Crumpler... Kinda think we need to (within reason) do what it takes to keep Odom. Even if we pay more than he's really worth.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

As much as he is traveling, I'm guessing he's not worth what he thought he was. It'd be nice to bring him back...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar