NFL Flexible Roster Rules Back

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Aug 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

So the NFL has carried over their flexible roster rules from last season. This should DEFINITELY help us with the WR issue as we can protect 4 players on the practice squad each week.

The rules include:

• Expansion of practice squads to 16 players, including up to six who have more than two accrued seasons.

• The ability to protect up to four practice squad players per week from being signed by other teams.

• Elevation of up to two practice squad players to the active roster, without removing any current players, before 4 p.m. ET the day before a game.

• Elevation of an additional practice squad player within 90 minutes before kickoff in the event of a late COVID-19 positive test result.

• Players placed on injured reserve can return after three weeks, rather than six as in normal seasons.

• Removal of the limit for how many players can be activated from injured reserve.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

man... being on NFL pratice squad is what $100k for going to pratice... great if temporary gig

also very interesting that essentially make NFL rosters 57 with immediate access to 69 players

on the relative cheap.

NFL owners might as well put their boots in the NFLPA office seeing as they own that place - LOL

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I say expand game day rosters to 53, or whatever, for month of August and play the useless exhibition games for reals

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

These games aren't useless at all. Guys get to fight for a roster spot and some guys need reps. I do think it makes sense for starters to sit out most of the pre-season since they have little to prove.

5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I was actually about to make a separate argument that if a player is stuck on a PS and another team attempts to snag him but because the PS team protects him, he should probably get a pay increase.

Realistically, a player likely would want a shot on a 53 man roster (should mean more money too) than to continuously get protected on a PS. I know this would hurt even our own team, but it would honestly keep PS guys from getting disgruntled should we keep a guy and never “call him up” so to speak.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

As boring as preseason can be, I think it really has an important role when building a team for depth. 4 games was excessive, 3 may even be, but two practice games for camp battles is good for the team overall even if fans don’t care.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I utterly disagree about 'camp battles' being settled in exhibition games

I think bottom of the roster spots can be made or lost but starting WR or backup RB are normally sorted in practice not who does best against insurance salesmen

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  8. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

The important thing is that we should be able to hide guys like Dez and Mcmath on the PS until they’re more developed.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree 4 games excessive and unnecessary. Clearly a $ move on owners part. Practice and 2 games live enough. 3 WOULD help in close roster calls But there just isn’t that much roster turnover and returning players already have a body of work to review as you suggested. Fans only super dislike practice games because they mean nothing directly to the championship hunt and season ticket holders loathe them because the ridiculous money grab by the league charging FULL price for an already over priced product.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

or beer truck drivers.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar