NFL Could Be Playing in Empty Stadiums

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Apr 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

2. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Plenty of evidence out there that tests arent completely reliable and that some hospitals have over reported numbers (for whatever reason).

I wont make any statements about my opinion on it here, but I'll tell you that my grandfather died a couple of weeks ago. He was on the verge of death and on breathing machines for months. When he passed I was told it was due to covid. I never once was told that he tested for it.

#222 Tricky, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Vorsutus

Vorsutus Starter

Give me football and if they dont even have water boys I wont give 1 iota of a bit of a smidge of a crap.

4. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

To play devils advocate for a second...

Plenty of people have recovered. So in order to recover, you need to return a positive, and then a negative test result.

Doesn't your statement just define a recovery?

• LOL LOL x 2
  5. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I know in Alabama to even be admitted to the hospital you have to have a test. My grandfather just had to go to the hospital and ended up with 3 different tests, all came back negative luckily.

Also they're testing people post-mortem to see if they had it when they passed.

One thing I do find very intersting is Europe's death/infection rate vs the US. So as of today, the US had ~5.3M total cases, with 168k deaths. Thats a death rate of 3.2% of the people who have tested positive for it.

I took a sample of some of the largest countries in Europe (Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, and Poland) and while their total cases are much lower, at ~1.5M, the deaths were nearly equal to the US at 161k. That's a death rate of 10.8%, which is crazy high.

So that makes me wonder, is the US just able to keep people alive better, or is Europe not picking up on a lot of their positives? It's also possible that the US is counting every single positive test as its own case, even if the same person gets tested multiple times while infected. That would mean we have fewer people who actually have the virus, but our death rate would actually be higher.

Either way, this is not something you want to get, whether sick or healthy. The best chance of surivavl is 97%, but could be as low as 85%... I don't like those odds at all. I don't care if they say a young, healthy person has a better chance, it's not a guarantee.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  6. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Seems simple to me. We are just administering more tests and they are only testing the very ill.

7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

That's somewhat true. The US has administered 67M+ tests. The countries I looked at combined for 45M, which is 33% less.

But even then, the difference in testing doesn't really add up to big difference in total cases.

8. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

You can't just look at pure number of tests, you have to look at the number of tests per millions of population. Some countries don't even have 67 million people to test.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  9. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

The combined population of the countries I cited was ~370M, so a little more than the US.

10. Vorsutus

Vorsutus Starter

Not taking a side but the numbers of test is a rather useless stat. It depends on how many people you test. Europe and the USA have about the same population. If we both administered the same number of tests and had the same number of infected that still wouldnt mean anything if one group is retreating people at a higher rate. Stattistics like this are very hard to figure out. Not saying the powers that be dont know these numbers I just haven't seen them.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar