McCarthy vs Ruud

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Nov 14, 2011.

?
  1. McCarthy

62 vote(s)
    84.9%
  2. Ruud

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Undecided/Indifferent

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

And yet only McCourtey and Babineaux have more tackles...

McCarthy had 5 solo tackles and 3 assists in the game. In the Browns game which was a comparable blowout, Ruud had 7 solo tackles.

Seriously, McCarthy played well in ONE game against a terrible opponent. There is nothing to indicate Ruud wouldn't have had an equally good game.

And just as a general aside, coaches decide who plays not only based on how many tackles (or whatever) they had on gameday, but also how they perform at practice, in film sessions and how they grade out on all plays (blown assignments, mental errors, etc.).

2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

As per Y! Michael Silver:

Did the Titans get a steal in rookie middle linebacker Colin McCarthy(notes), and will he soon be starting ahead of Barrett Ruud(notes)?

i generally like Silver when he says something about the titans, he is usually right and in parallel of what we say on these boards. when he first surfaced for Y!, i wondered if he was a titan fan b/c he would talk about us quite a bit and usually in a positive light.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We occasionally have these retro posts from the Fisher era that our head coach must be a knot head who plays inferior people.

Then again we have a healthy number of posters who just like to have something to complain about.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I can tell you don't watch many Titans games huh.... Ruud is an awful tackler, he bounces off guys like he's a kicker.

And while preseason is preseason, McCarthy ran the D like a 5 year pro.

That "one" game you saw last week was just the beginning for Pimp-C.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

YOU say this? Hahaha, you complain about EVERYTHING!

You even go as far as making chit up, just to argue about nothing.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

now that fishface is in motorcity carrying his son coffee the local media is admitting that fishface was 'overly committed to HIS veterans' - the ginormous tub of yanquee goo Mark Howard

fishface clearly played his guys and let more talented younger guys rot on the bench and it cost the Titans Ws

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

You can take Ruud's best game this season and compare it to McCarthy's lone start and tell who the better player is. Could McCarthy's one game be a farce? Yeah, but he's been playing well in spots when Ruud had to come out for a few snaps because of his shoulder.

McCarthy has always had the talent, if he didn't have chronic shoulder issues in college he would have been a second round pick.

8. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

something that concern me however is that Mccarthy is often injured... he was limited this week with practice.... i think i remember earlier in this season mccarthy was also injured in practice and sat the game out...

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I have no problem with the coaching staff easing McCarthy in if they think that's what's best for his development (both physically and mentally). He's sort of the Locker of the defense and his long-term development is more important than anything else. If things work out well, he will be the QB of the D for years to come.

Ruud isn't anything to get excited about, but he's not nearly as bad as you guys make him out to be. He is a serviceable linebacker who can hold down the fort until the coaches believe McCarthy is ready to step in and be a leader for the defense.

10. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

In my humble opinion...McCarthy is, and will continue, to play hungry and on a mission to prove himself. That is a good combination in a young defense where enthusiasm and energy plays into its success. The fact that Ruud has commented that he was impressed at how he was calling the defense so let him go.....

Why force back a guy with a hammy when we "might" need him down the line if we even remotely can challenge for the division?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar