Mariota's Ceiling Heading Into the Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Apr 30, 2019.

?

Will Mariota retire after this season?

This poll will close on Aug 28, 2029 at 4:43 PM.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Read your posts before you throw them up there pal lol. Insults were thrown my way first...Fact is, this team is a whole lot of average. Show me otherwise....Take away our top defense and we aren’t 9-7 or even 8-8. Mariota is not good entering year 5, and just like you’re sick of people hating on your boy, we are sick of everyone making excuses and pointing the finger at literally everyone else but the guy with the ball most. Everyone agrees with that but the swingers...The front office, people watching games, analysts, basically anywhere...what’s next Gut, “Hall of fame” talk like your boy CJthebeast? Lol...I did spout factual information( your blinders are on holmes. Ya lost just as much credibility.

Thanks for swinging

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Finding your 'style' of argument amusing is an insult? Read your own insults and you'll see a stark contrast.

Did I DENY Rosen threw 11 TD's? NOPE! I clearly said he did throw 11 td's and gave you the whole breakdown. I just destroyed your argument than Rosen MATCHED Mariota in any meaningful way.

Factually, you are correct that given a single stat TD's, Rosen matched Mariota in TD throws. But that argument is ridiculous taken out of context to try and make a broader point...that Mariota is as bad as Rosen.

It is just as meaningless as someone saying Mariota is a BETTER QB than Mahomes, Brady, Russell Wilson and Big Ben because HE BEAT them in completion %! Even the most ardent Mariota fan would not make that claim...because it's not true. You can say FACTUALLY it's true that he beat them in this one stat...but the value of that is meaningless.

If you want to try and make it one stat...use QBR since it is as comprehensive an overall stat as we have. Clearly that stat shows that Rosen didn't even play at a backup QB level and Mariota as a bit above average. It will also show Mariota's value versus Brady and Mahomes and Wilson and Big Ben...that just because his completion percentage is higher, doesn't make him a better QB.

Silly argument!

:disappointed:

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  3. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

So answer my question, what has Marcus done or shown that makes him worthy of a long term commitment?....They’ve added help, tried new coaches, etc. It’s on him. As of this moment, he isn’t worth a long term deal because he has been AVERAGE at best...I could rattle a billion stats, but we all know it’s true and for good reason...As does the front office. It’s time to start holding HIM accountable. That comes with the position.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ok, lets see. Mary had 3 wins vs playoff teams last year. Thats 1 more than Philip Rivers, Deshaun Watson and Andrew Luck.

Those are the 3 QB's in our way, and he out did those guys?

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

How can the team be a whole lot of avg if we have a top Defense? Might want to read thru before posting so you don't contradict yourself.

<yawn> Please quote me saying Mariota is not at all a part of the problem. You can't because I've said from the beginning that Mariota has been part of the problem and needs to play BETTER or he'll be gone. So why do you claim I think the opposite? The difference is I hold everyone accountable and don't just blame the QB for everyone else's problems. I blame Mariota for his problems, the OL for their problems, the wr's for their problems, etc. Like actual football coaches do!

Actually, none of them do! It is quite obvious through the team's actions, they DON'T agree with you (that this is all a Mariota problem.). For example, the team recognizes the OL was part of the problem and got rid of both OG's, signed an improvement and drafted another. If they were ok with the OL, they would have kept Spain and Kline...because they are cheap.

We went out and signed the best slot wr in free agency and drafted another in round 2. If that doesn't show that the front office thinks that group needs a major improvement, I don't know what will.

Lastly, and most importantly, if the Titans thought this was mostly a Mariota problem and everyone else was fine, they would have cut him after they traded for Tannehill since Tannehill is underpaid at $7mil/yr and Mariota is overpaid at $20mil. And because this is Mariota's last year, they'd save almost $20mil in cap space dumping him. So if you're right - that this is all a Mariota problem - why didn't the front office CUT him? Looks like the front office looks at this the same way I do. Plenty of blame to go around.

Again, making stuff up that I didn't say and then commenting about your own made up thing doesn't lose me credibility. I'm not the one making things up!

No one denied your fact. I just proved it was meaningless.

#335 Gut, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

There are two sides to this coin. One side is that he has the intangibles and leadership and has shown flashes he can make the throws and can make big plays in big games. He played very well against the Eagles and Patriots for example. But the other side, though, is if he has to stay healthy and be more consistent playing at his A-game level. If he doesn't, he won't earn a long term contract extension. I think the front office thinks he can do it (or they would have cut him after getting Tannehill), but he's got to do it this year.

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Except for when he played against them.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. JCBRAVE

THATS the trick, just beat 1 those guys to tip the scales

9. JCBRAVE

We were stuck with Mary once the new league year started. If only we were able to trade for tannehill 2 weeks sooner then maybe we could have cut Mary.

But after the new year starts his money became guaranteed.

10. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Christ, another novel to read through....ugh

• LOL LOL x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar