Love it or hate it: Fisherball works

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We can complain all day about it but it's proven, once again, that teams who can run the football and play solid defense go to the playoffs.

Quote yesterday from Fisher on the teams in the playoffs:
    "I’d say there are some things that are in common in the field. Six of the top 10 teams in rushing in the National Football League made it and six of the top 10 defensive teams in the AFC made it. So if you can play good defense and run the football, you have a chance to make the playoffs."

Take a look for yourself:

Rushing (YPG)
    1. Giants
    2. Falcons
    3. Panthers
    4. Ravens
    5. Vikings
    6. Pats
    7. Titans
    8. Redskins
    9. Jets
    10. Raiders

6-of-10 made the playoffs.

Defense (YPG allowed)
    1. Steelers
    2. Ravens
    3. Eagles
    4. Redskins
    5. Giants
    6. Vikings
    7. Titans
    8. Cowboys
    9. Bucs
    10. Pats

6-of-10 made the playoffs.

Surprisingly, the Pats and Skins are on both lists. The Pats were in the mix to the final week but the Skins finished 1-4 losing two of those against other teams on both lists.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The bad thing is, I find our passing offense lacking every team ahead of us on the list except the Vikings.

"Fisher"ball better work because I want a Superbowl win. Otherwise call it "Marty"ball after Schottenheimer.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That type of game has always worked. If you keep the opponent from scoring you usually win. If you can also run the ball well you will succeed on a consistent basis and win 2/3 of your games.

Last year we ran the ball pretty good, not great, threw the ball poorly and had horrible red zone effectiveness. We still won 10 games because of our defense. Of course our kicking game was exceptional.

I can't think of a team that won consistently over a significant period of time that didn't both run the ball well and play great defense.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What about the ravens? I would rate us equal to the bucs in passing offense.

Jeff left off the dolphins who were both 9th in scoring defense and 9th in rushing yards. Scoring defense is more important than total.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

you're just saying that because the Titans are tops in scoring defense.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Actually, we aren't.

I haven't looked on ESPN or NFL.com, but the Tennessean said that the Steelers' shutout combined with our 23 point give up this week cost us the points title.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

If you believe in trends....

Over the past 15 years or so, virtually every Super Bowl was won by the team with the better scoring defense.

Unfortunately, we've seen that trend bucked in the past couple years, with the Colts beating the Bears and the Giants beating the Pats. Hopefully the pattern resumes this year.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Love it.

And this year, it is fun to watch, because CJ can take it to the house, and Kerry could throw a long TD. So it's not boring anymore. This team is better than the one who went to the superbowl. We can score from anywhere at any time.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Out of the previous recent Superbowl champions, which one's fall in the category of Fisherball?

2007 Giants
    2006 Colts
    2005 Steelers
    2004 Pats
    2003 Pats
    2002 Bucs
    2001 Pats
    2000 Ravens
    1999 Rams

I think the Ravens and Bucs easily fall in that category. The Steelers really as well. The Giants I can see an argument for and an argument against.

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I think most all of them do...with that said, those teams' offenses were a lot like Fisherball, except they all had very good passing games to balance out their run games even more.
    So even though Fisherball means, strong run game, strong defense; if that Fisherball offense also happened to have a high powered passing game, would it still be considered Fisherball?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar