League Conduct Policy Appears Arbitrary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Vick is guilty - it was his property that this activity was transpiring
    a federal grand jury doesn't just pass out random indictments (there has to be indisputable evidence to forward the case) Vick has alread been summoned ... this is not an investigation
    it's pretty cut and dry

regardless of whether or not he had any knowledge of dogfighting on his property is beside the point - it was on his property. possession is 9/10 of the law (or haven't you heard?)
    if you owned a large parcel of land and someone was growing marijuana on it - you'd be the one liable for criminal charges. why? because it's your property

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

The policy further states that each situation is basically handled on its on merit, and other circumstances come into play. There isn't a hard and fast rule for every player. The nature of the "crime"...how his team is handling the matter, the intances of offenders on a team, etc., etc.

http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/ConductPolicy.aspx

There is the entire policy.
    I took the blurbs from these links.

http://www.prostaronline.com/nfl_conduct_policy.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10119182

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Right- which is the source of contention. The policy appears arbitrary and especially how it has been enforced when reviewing its application to Pacman versus Vick, Joey Porter and others.

4. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Much of the same. Goodell feeling the heat.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_PETA_FALCONS_VICK_NFL?SITE=TNMEM&SECTION=SPORTS

"Goodell met with officials from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The leaders of the demonstration focused on Goodell's one-year suspension of Tennessee's Adam "Pacman" Jones under the NFL's personal conduct policy, although Jones has not been convicted of any crime.

"We think they should do the same with Michael Vick," said Dan Shannon, an assistant director of campaigns for PETA. "We don't think their 'wait and see' attitude goes far enough. If they suspended Pacman Jones, they can suspend Vick.""

"In Washington, Sen. John Kerry said he would introduce legislation aimed at eliminating dogfighting and sent a letter to Goodell asking him to immediately suspend Vick."

5. Riverman

That article was dated the 21st. I think Goodell has already responded by suspending him with pay.

6. Riverman

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I am surprised you are saying that. I actually feel this is pretty harsh..but I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. According to the story the assault charges were never filed, but again it's a case of getting the headlines. NFL players are literally going to have to avoid being blackmailed now. What's to keep anyone from accusing a player and saying pay me off or I will go to the cops and file charges? This could keep lawyers busy for a long time.

8. Riverman

Guy was a 4 time substance abuse policy offender AND he had the assault issues. It is consistent with the strictness applied to Pac. (But not vick or porter). It is appropriate IMO, becuase it is the 3rd time he was reprimanded (found in violation of the policy) by the league.

9. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

TNThunder is right though. There is a real risk here. If an accusation is enough to get a guy suspended, people will be reporting alleged crimes all the time, just to get revenge or take a player down or whatever. I think it should have been tied to convictions all along. Goodell's whole "hurts the image of the NFL" policy is misguided. You can't start punishing people for being accused of crimes.

Now Pacman actually failed to report an arrest, which makes his case different (I thought a year's suspension was still too harsh though).

10. Riverman

That is one reason why many people, myself included, have taken great exception to Goodell actually starting to use the "charges" clause in the personal conduct policy.

I think one of the differences is that a person goes to the police with a complaint and the police then decide whether or not there is enough evidence to file charges. Unfortunately, there are some opportunistic officers so this is by no means an ideal system. Many celebrities have been unfairly targeted as you have suggested might occur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar