Last FA need: DL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MM8, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

What do you think about taking a flyer on Danny Shelton and/or Muhhamed Wilkerson? I think either could be had for a reasonable price, and both played well at times last year.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Tricky

Tricky Starter

I pegged Danny Shelton as a target before free agency. I think one of these guys makes a lot of sense. Keeps us from having a big hole on the defensive side. Not that we would not draft a DL bc of Shelton, but it makes it less pressing of a need.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Here's how I see it.

Option 1...sign Suh for $12+mill for one year. He's had about 4.5 sacks a year for the last couple, but he had almost 60 tackles...which is insane for a guy who not only played DL, but played a good chunk at NT. Only money to give up and no long term commitment.

Option 2...trade for McCoy. Not sure the Bucs want to keep paying him 12.5mil a year. His tackles dropped a bit but still put in his 6 sacks! Whereas as Suh is the better all-around player on a one year, McCoy is a better pass rusher for multiple years.

Option 3...sign Wilkerson. Wilkerson was a great DT just a couple of years ago but he just had his 2nd serious ankle surgery so big question on the medical. If it checks out I'd sign him right now. At worst he's talent depth while he works his way back from injury. At best he regains his form and plays as well as the above two at half the cost.

Option 4...Sign Shelton as depth on a prove it deal. I loved Shelton coming out of college...but he was traded by the Browns to the Pats...who ended up benching him for 2 weeks last year...and that's not good. I suspect JRob will know why but I haven't watched any Pats tape on him to see whats going on.

I think the Titans will stand pat until the draft...unless Suh's price drops...or Bucs come to us with an offer...JRob obviously knows them very well. But I'd be checking on Wilkerson now and grab him if healthy. Think the Pack signed him to like a 1yr $5mil prove it deal with incentives up to around $8mil. I'd do the same if he can pass the medical and we don't think this will be a lingering issue and prevent him from playing well. When healthy, he's VERY GOOD!

If I'm the Titans and it doesn't look like we are getting a DT in round 1, I'm on the phone getting Wilkerson, Suh or McCoy. We need a nasty front 4 coming after Luck, Brady, Watson, and Foles!!!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

That’s cheap for a guy who can stand up and rush the passer.

2020 6th rounder for Quinn or 24mil for 37yr old Cam Wake?

6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Why aren't we pursuing these kind of trades? I guess who knows maybe we did?

I agree cheap help.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Wake is significantly better, and has a $5M cap hit next year and dead cap of $2M afterwards, if we decide to cut him. That $24M figure is as noticeable as global warming.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. titanman1987

titanman1987 Starter

Agree with you on that. Hell if we had the cap I would get him and Wilkerson and not have to worry about d line for at least a year or two. That would put us in a good spot in the draft.

9. titanman1987

titanman1987 Starter

Are we sure they will contribute. Suh and Wilkerson would be upgrades we know will at least make some noise.

10. titanman1987

titanman1987 Starter

Yes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar