Kevin Byard in 2021

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tbone in TN, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I'll reserve my judgements on his "regression" of 20' until after I see how he plays in 21'.
    This may just be a case of a "down year" for him. Lot's of players have 1 year that is worse than the bulk of their career.

That said, we know scheme was crap, pass rush was crap, the rest of the secondary was crap, so it may not have just been him.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

Jonnu just trying to get resigned

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I'm not sure it is possible to look good as a safety that "plays center field" on a terrible defense.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I doubt he’s too worried about that. There will be more than one suitor for him.

5. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Seems like a coaching issue to me, lots of players regressed especially Byard!

6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Players regress or have down years, but an entire D? Thats on coaching
    Clowney and Beasley didn't work out..but you can't tell me Evans, King, Landry and Byard couldn't step up?
    But hey let's make Bowen the DC and see if that makes things better smh

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

[​IMG]
    Tennessee Titans
    1st AFC South · 11-5, 0-1 playoffs
    The Titans must: get Mike Vrabel more help on defense.

Vrabel has been a defensive coordinator or head coach in four NFL seasons. In two of those four seasons (with the 2017 Texans and 2020 Titans), his defenses have been among the very worst in football. The other two seasons, the Titans' defense was mediocre. It's clear that Vrabel's coaching isn't providing a tremendous advantage; in fact, there's an argument to be made that he's providing a disadvantage. It's not for lack of trying -- the Titans have spent tons of money and draft capital on defense. Their free agent signings last season (Vic Beasley and Jadeveon Clowney) did not work out, but the Titans have also struggled to draft difference makers. Still, there were enough quality individual performances (Jeffery Simmons, Kevin Byard, Malcolm Butler, Jayon Brown) to make the Titans' defensive collapse perplexing. Whether it was the loss of old defensive coordinator Dean Pees or Vrabel's coaching, Tennessee's pass rush was non-existent. Promoting Shane Bowen from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator, when Bowen called the plays last year, doesn't feel like much of a change. What Vrabel and GM Jon Robinson have done on defense through three seasons hasn't worked, so they need to try something different.

8. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Byard out here like a headless chicken but it's not his fault. What lol

9. SouthSide1

SouthSide1 615 STRONG

He complained about communication issues then a week ago praised Bowen?? WTF LOL

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

i think that's two different things and the order may not have become public correctly.
    Him complaining about the scheme is fair considering how bad the D was last year BUT once Bowen was selected as DC, its a smart move to just agree with the move to avoid unnecessary conflict even if he really doesn't agree with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar