Jones Making His Case at WR

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Last year Fisher said we had so many good players that he didnt know which ones to keep or cut.

i think he cut the wrong ones. lol lets hope he doesnt have to decide this season.

2. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

The thing about Jones is, other than a roster spot, it wouldn't be too much of a problem to keep him around for one more year. He's shown he has potential, so we let him see the field and give it his all. If he's still not getting it done, let him loose and too bad - we lost another player who wasn't good enough to make the roster anyway, but if it pans out... well, we could certainly use that.

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Now see this is where I disagree. You say it will "only" cost us a roster spot, but that means we have to cut another guy loose. Say B. Jones would be the 4th WR (5th when RW comes back this year). Are you willing to cut Paul Williams for instance, who is younger and has more years left on his deal, just so B. Jones can walk after a season spent as depth? I'm not.

4. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

I can understand entirely where you're coming from, but personally I feel like Paul Williams isn't worth the roster spot. Third round pick who didn't see the field once? Hasn't gotten his chance or hasn't proved his worth - your call.
    I still have a bit of faith that Jones could rise up the depth chart. There was one point where people were comfortable with the idea of him as our #1, let's see if he can do it.
    If we had the choice, I'd keep all of them on to see who rose up to the challenge. But if sacrifices have to be made, I'd likely go with Paul. Though Mike is wearing thin on me too. Funny how I hadn't mentioned him after all this talk about not proving one's worth. :lol:

5. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Evidently, he had a really good practice today. Paul I mean. Personally I think Mike, Davis, and Jones are gone. If we kept one of them, I think it would be Mike. Davis is as good as gone to me.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right now, B. Jones is playing as well, if not better, than any WR on the roster. Time will tell but if he keeps it up, it'll be hard to keep him off the field on Sunday even if R. Williams comes back strong.

Even if he's the fourth WR, he is quality depth which is important to have on the roster. And yes, I keep him over P. Williams any day though I think both will make the roster at this point.

7. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Jeff, who gets cut then? Davis? Mike Williams?

Which WR's are on the roster opening day?

8. TitanJeff

Too early to tell.

Mike Williams has not shown me much. Paul Williams is only slightly better. If I were to choose based on what I've seen this week, I go:

Gage
    McCareins
    B. Jones
    Ealy
    Hawkins
    Davis

R. Williams is the question mark here. If he is 100% by the end of camp, the Titans then have to either keep seven WRs or drop Davis or Ealy. I think Ealy has the edge over Davis right now. Maybe P. Williams picks it up soon.

Ealy may still be eligible for the practice squad which may play into the decision.

And I would not be shocked to see the Titans bring in someone released from another team after the first round of cuts.

9. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

So, during OTA's there were a few articles out there that indicated that Mike Williams was looking really good - has he dropped off in Training Camp?

Based on what I've seen I think that Ealy shows more upside than either P. Williams or Davis. But that is from a very limited viewing.

10. TitanJeff

I'm not among those who think M. Williams has done much.

Of the three you mention, Ealy is looking better to me too. I think the Titans would like to see one of these three begin to make that "jump" we hear about from the rookie to second season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar