Jarrett possible a bust!?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by dgood, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgood

dgood Guest

I just ran across a website that states that Jarrett will more than likely be a bust. I sort of agree, as most receivers coming out of USC in the past few years have been busts. Do you think we should pass him up and go for Sidney Rice?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

do i think we should pass him up? yes

do i think we should go for sidney rice? no

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

As much as I don't want Ted Ginn, I would be more dissapointed if we spent #19 on Jarrett. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Smith actually gets elected ahead of Jarrett, nor would I be surprised if Anthony Gonzalez got selected very closely to Ginn (probably not ahead of him).

If Rice was available at our #2 I'd be willing to take a chance on him. Realistically there are about 7 receivers (Ginn, Meachem, Jarrett, Rice, Gonzalez, Bowe, S.Smith) that will likely go within 30 picks of each other from the mid-1st to the mid-2nd.

None of them are top tier propsects (there's only 7 of those in this draft - CJ, Russell, Quinn, Thomas, Landry, Adams, Peterson) and it will probably come down to who fits our system the best. i.e. Good blocker, hard worker, good hands and happy to work across the middle.

4. Fry

you basically just described dwayne bowe.

5. dgood

dgood Guest

Agreed!

6. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

No, he basically just described how you see Bowe. I think Bowe is a good player, but contrary to some poster's belief, he does not have great hands and runs some questionable routes. Just a few opinions...

"Rounds off too many of his routes and must learn to get in and out of his breaks without gearing down as much. He has a tendency to loose focus on occasion and will drop some "catchable" passes."- espn/ scouts.com

"While he shows the ability to go after the jump ball his hands are in question and has shown that he will drop some easy catches."- the Sporting News

"Lacks the deep speed and cannot stretch the defense. Occasionally drops a catchable throw."- SI.com

Not trying to jump on you or anything bigtitan, just pointing out that while you may see Bowe as a can't miss player, I think Rice may be just as good. Both are going to have their positives and negatives. Rice is taller, both are about the same speed, Rice actually had more catches than Bowe each of the last two seasons and significantly more yards (both played in the SEC against same teams). In fact, Bowe stayed all 4 years at LSU while Rice played only two at SC, Rice had only 12 fewer catches in his career and more touchdowns than Bowe. While some may say that Rice played for spurrier at SC, SC actually only threw the ball 21 more times than LSU this season and LSU threw for more yardage. Bowe of course is heavier, and stronger than Rice, and has also been healthier over his career. Honestly one or both of them could be great in the NFL or total busts... Just pointing out that whether you watch film or look at stats, you could almost flip a coin to say which one is better.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

8. Fry

feel free to state your opinion, that is what this is all about.

i dont see bowe as a cant miss player. the only guy i see in this draft as cant miss is calvin johnson, but as far as what carpy described "hard worker, good blocker, happy to work across the middle" is bacially bowe to a T and i think he fits what we want to do on offense better than a lot of the guys who will be selected in the first.

as far as my WR ranking, it would look something like this:

calvin johnson
    dwayne bowe
    robert meachem
    steve smith
    aundrae allison
    dwayne jarrett
    ted ginn
    sidney rice

9. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

Calvin Johnson
    Ted Ginn Jr.
    Dwayne Bowe
    Robert Meachem
    Dwayne Jarrett
    Sidney Rice
    Steve Smith
    Aundrae Allison

10. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

After CJ, the WR's are all over the place. Nearly every scout or web site I have seen has #'s 2-7 in a different order, some of them in a vastly different order. One would be hard pressed to say that Meachem is better than Bowe, Rice is better than Jarrett, Smith better than Ginn... etc. Everyone is going to have their opinions, but realistically all of them have some positives and some pretty significant flaws (on paper at least) and if statistics hold true than at least 4 of the top eight won't ever make it as a starter.
    I think one of the top DE's is going to drop to us at 19, and more than one of those 7 wr's will be there with our 2nd rounder. We also have the second day picks to move up in the second round to pick up a WR if we have a good feeling about one. I think that we need some WR help, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even draft a day one WR, especially if Givens knee continues to improve. If givens is a go for the regular season, and Orr makes the team (a big if) that's six wide outs already. I love all this speculation. It makes me happy. Everyone knows what we should do, then we all end up wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar