IR question

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Oct 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

For the IR return rule is it 4 games or 4 weeks?

It looks like I've seen games, but that really doesn't make sense when you have bye weeks. A guy gets hurt week 3 and his team doesn't have a bye until week 11 then he is back in 4weeks, but a team with a bye week 6 that same guy would have to sit out 5 weeks... doesn't seem right

Also any word on Molden or McMath?

Getting a healthy Molden back would help the secondary a bunch because we could then leave Fulton and McCreary on the outside and not have to see Mitchell/Farley on the field

2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

"Players designated for return from the reserve/injured or reserve/non-football injury/illness list are eligible to come back after "four games have elapsed since the date he was placed on the applicable reserve list,"

That's from the memo that was sent to teams when they changed IR rules during the pandemic etc.

I would assume they count the bye week though.

3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

They do not. It is specifically 4 games

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Interesting. Like the OP said, kind of a disadvantage to not count the bye week. But it does read 4 GAMES and not weeks.

Guess it's not that shocking that an NFL rule doesn't make sense.

5. Young54

Young54 Starter

My IR question is, does putting a player on IR release some of their cap space? Typically the entire salary isn't guaranteed for injuries. With all the money we have on IR (Lewan and Landry mostly), doesn't that give us some wiggle room to play with this season?

6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I don't understand how anyone could think the bye week counts as a game.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

From what I understand, it only frees up a roster spot. If you get cap relief from an injury depends on the players contract.

8. Young54

Young54 Starter

Right. Since Lewan and Landry's contracts aren't fully guaranteed, shouldn't we have extra cap space in 2022?

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

For Lewan I would think so. For Landry though I would be surprised if this year was not fully guaranteed

Whole thing is so complicated. Even sites that track cap numbers (Sport trac and Over The Cap) admit they are not 100% accurate.

10. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Typically you hear a player is out 4 weeks etc. Even some of what I've read in a quick Google search says weeks instead of games. It's not that anyone thinks that the bye week counts as a game...it's the wording used in the media vs the actual rules etc.

And again, it's kind of a disadvantage to lose a player for an extra week just because your team has a mandatory game off that week.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar