Interview: Houston Chronicle's John McClain

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Over the next few weeks, goTitans.com will interview a number of the media who cover the Tennessee Titans. Our first interview is with John McClain, NFL writer for the Houston Chronicle.

After Albert Haynesworth, which UFA on the Titans roster do you think is the next priority to keep and why?
    After they spent so much to build their defensive line with Odom, LaBoy, Long, Starks and Schobel, they have to keep at least one. But Odom's price is soaring because pass rushing defensive ends are so valuable. LaBoy isn't as good, but he'll make more than he expected. I'd try to keep one. The other is Jacob Bell. They also drafted to re-build the offensive line. They don't want to lose most of them, including Bell, but they're not going to let their cap get out of whack again.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you know jeff, you really do a great job running this site.

i don't think the "official" titans' board does this.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Thanks. This series of interviews are always fun.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Wow.

Wow.

Nice job TJ.

6. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Good interviews... although I had to laugh seeing this in the 2006 one...

ouch

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

McClain basically states the obvious and occasionally goes way off the deep end with some ridiculous stuff. At least in this interview he actually tried to answer the questions. He has become so senile on the radio most of the time by the time he finishes rambling he ends up not even coming close to answering the callers question. One guy asked something about the available DEs we could get in the first round and McClain rambled for 10 minutes about Long and Gholston. Most of the time instead of actually giving names on questions like that he will give generalities about how deep the draft is at a particlular position (most of the time his analysis is contrary to most of the draft gurus).

I do appreciate you getting these kind of interviews Jeff. Don't let my feeling about McClain discourage more of these. Good job by you.

9. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Nice read, Jeff. I hope McClain was kidding when he said of Heimerdinger, "I think Mike should get an apartment in Austin and go back and forth."

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

What hurts is the truth that we basically have become a factory for Linemen, we develop them and then watch them walk away instead of reaping the rewards of our initial investment. Odom, Starks, LaBoy, Bell and Stewart if we're not careful will all be producing at a higher level with other teams. We need to do a better job of keeping our own guys, instead of having to reload every single draft because we keep our CRAP and let our CREAM walk. Someone please teach these chuckers in the Front Office how to stagger contracts and get creative. For instance offer Odom a fairly large 2 year deal giving him the incentive to get another shot at Free agency, but keeping his motivation level at the highest point. Either he pans out or doesn't, and by then, he'll know if he wants to be in Tennessee for the long haul and the Championship runs. Offer Bell a huge 5 year deal with a big signing Bonus and backload the crap out of it. Just some ideas..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar