How many years til Titans are back in Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Jan 29, 2009.

?
  1. one

29 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. two

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. three

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. four

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. five

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. six

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. seven

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. 8 or over

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I wish there was a 'Thumbs Down' button for posts like this. I'm not even going to state my opinion about the Ravens game because if you don't know it by now then you simply don't read the threads on this site. 2 lousy plays, and you're throwing the entire organization under the bus. If we fall to 8-8 next year then I'll call you a prophet, something like Nostradamus, a predictor or terrible chit

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

i think most of our guys will be back. and they can be replaced.

look how many years the Ravens D have been awesome, and they have seen players come and go. look at the Steelers history. they been know for their D for ever, and still today they have the #1 D. Our D can always be great, if we want it to.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The ravens were not even in the top 10 in forced fumbles.

Both lendale and crumpler fumbled as a result of effort, they were trying hard to get a first down. Logically they should have just hung on to the ball and made that the priority given the game situation. We still get a FG try, but they didn't.

We obviously need playmaking WRs. How often in this post season did warner do something ordinary but boldin or fitzgerald turned it into something extraordinary? Like boldin's big catch and run in the first half and fitzgerald's 10 yard slant that went all the way. We need some of that from the WR position.

4. halt

halt Starter

CK, sorry to have offended your sensibilities. However, as I stated, I don't like negativity, but sometimes to progress, one has to look to the problems with the present. I have watched this team from the stands for every season it has been in Nashville, and my observation is that regardless of the player personnel, there seems to be a consistent inability to move from the near top to the top. My real question is whether or not the heart of this matter is the coaching staff. Is Fisher the crux of the problem, or is it just the nature of the beast. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but am really trying to understand this season. I don't believe that two plays cost us the Raven's game. They certainly didn't help, but were not the sole cause.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The crux of the problem is that the Titans play in the NFL. For the most part any team can beat any other team on any given week. When you get to the playoffs it becomes even more competitive and a fumble, int, missed tackle or anything considered a screwup can end up ending your season. The Cardinals, one of the worst franchises in history just lost a SB mainly because Warner got duped into throwing an int on the last play of the second half. Even the int was the deal breaker but the fact that all they had to do was make a tackle and they save the 7 points. That is just the nature of the game.

Trying to over examine and over analyze this is stupid. Take for example the Chargers in 2006. 14-2, best record in the AFC. They were a dominating team. The Chargers were unbeaten at home going into the playoffs. The Chargers had played near flawless ball all season. Then against the Patriots they had 4 turnovers, three resulting in Patriot scoring drives. Despite intercepting Brady 3 times they lost the game. Did that mean the team wasn't well coached? The players weren't any good? The trainers didn't do thier job? No, it simply meant that the Chargers picked a bad time to play a bad game.

There is really nothing to understand. This year the Cardinals finished with a 9-7 record and despite having to play three playoff games to get to the SB, one on the road against Carolina, they got there. Last year the Giants won as a wild card team. The Steelers won in 2006 as a wild card team. My point is only two teams make it to the SB every year. Only one team wins. It all comes down to a team playing extremely well when they get to the playoffs, having luck with injuries and the ball bouncing their way. The Titans were one of those teams that experienced the good side of that in 1999. Unfortunately we saw the bad this year and the 2000 season. The key is to just keep putting the best team you can on the field and hope things work out.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

There's clearly nothing random about it. If Fisher had said "Alge, remember, don't fumble the ball" one more time, he definitely would have. I'm sure he never said anything like that to any of the players, and I'm sure that they needed it to be said.

Why can I never find the sarcasm smiley when I need it the most?

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

New topic raised, so I'm back in this thread.

If "randomness" plays the most significant part of Playoff and Super Bowl victories, explain to me how the Steelers now have 6 rings, the Cowboys 5, 49ers 4 etc. and some franchises don't have any, and some have a single appearance?

I realize that the salary cap has greatly influenced parity, but it also has limited the time frame teams can hold together great teams. Many multiple win SB teams acquired their victories in "runs", so I have to believe it is more than "randomness". It has to do with drafting, management, coaching and some intangible variables like team chemistry and/or desire to win ("heart").

It is easy and much more comfortable for all of us to brush off our early playoff exits as "bad breaks our way" but that rationalization invites complacency. I think those other organizations with multiple super bowl wins very well may know and do some things the Titans/Oilers organization does not.

No sarcasm smile needed. :)

8. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I'm going with neither. The problem with the Titans is the same as it always has been: they simply feel that they don't need a high octane offense to win games. Chris Johnson is a player unlike anything this team has ever seen before (since moving to TN, that is) simply because he can take any play to the house. Perhaps seeing what kind of threat that is will compel the front office to take a look at a similar threat on the WR position. I simply can't stress enough how important a good WR is. Some people say it's the most overrated position in football, I say that's baloney. The Steelers are the best franchise in the history of the NFL as of yesterday. They have 6 Super Bowl wins. HALF of those teams we're led by a WR MVP in the biggest game of them all. Coincidence? No. A DYNAMIC offense is one that keeps defenses honest, and we are literally 1 play-making receiver from having one of our own

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I agree 100% with this post. And the thing that they know and we don't: OFFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! Forget about the stupid cliche, the three best franchises in the HISTORY of the NFL were all led by powerhouse offenses and good-great defenses. Who has consistently been atop the NFL for the past decade? Well it's funny you asked, because it's the Pats and the Colts, both led by high-powered offenses. All of those franchises you mentioned had elite QB's and great receivers, something we have NEVER had. This is (dare I say) an easy fix. Spend some damn $$ and get a wide receiver that can make plays AFTER catching the ball. We have to wonder if our dudes are going to make the catch on the 10 yard slant. When Larry Fitzgerald gets a slant thrown his way you wonder if he's taking it to the house. Adequate simply won't do in the NFL when it comes to the guys scoring your points

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Imagine being a Bills and Broncos fan who couldn't win the big game after so many opportunities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar