How important is the QB position in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nate42104, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

^

When do you start bashing VY in this thread?

2. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Ok. I’ll take the bait.

I’ll give you Drew Brees and possibly Peyton Manning even though we know the success his 300+ yards a game passing has produced in the playoffs. In the past 7 years here are the winning Super Bowl QB’s passing numbers:

2010: Drew Brees. 292.5. 34 TD’s and 11 INT’s.
    2009: Ben Roethlisberger: 206.3 yards a game. 17 TD’s and 15 INT’s.
    2008: Eli Manning: 208.5 yards a game. 23 TD’s and 20 INT’s.
    2007: Peyton Manning: 274.8 yards a game. 31 TD’s and 9 INT’s.
    2006: Ben Roethlisberger: 198.8 yards a game. 17 TD’s and 9 INT’s.
    2005: Tom Brady: 230.8 yards a game. 28 TD’s and 14 INT’s.
    2004: Tom Brady: 226.3 yards a game. 23 TD’s and 12 INT’s.

I don’t see one 300+ yards a game passer in that bunch. In fact, I see 5 at or below 230 yards a game. Yes, the NFL is pass happy, and if the Titans are going to win it all then Vince needs to keep improving, but let’s not overstate the facts. Brady was not known as an elite passer when he won his Super Bowls. He was known as a winner. He made the throws he needed to make and did not make mistakes. He was good, no doubt about it, but he was not passing the ball on the same level as the best QB’s. Once he got Moss on his team that changed and now he puts up numbers that are as good or better than anyone else. But that hasn’t translated to any more Super Bowl wins. Same thing can be said for Big Ben. He was a game manager that would come up with two or three big plays each game when he won his first Super Bowl. He improved by the time he won his second but he was still not throwing the ball all over the field. Not like he did last year. Eli Manning? Everyone knows that he is not a great passer and his numbers back that up. We don’t need Young to emulate him. The Titans need Young to get his yards per game close to the 200 yard mark – possibly in the high 180’s since he picks up at least 20 yards a game with his legs. If he can do that and keep his interceptions down they will have a QB that can win it all. They don’t need him to be Peyton Manning. They need him to control the game and make a few big plays when it counts. He did that last year when he resumed his role as the starter. There is your hope.

The only team in the past 6 or 7 years that won the Super Bowl because of their offense and passing game are the Saints. When the Colts won the defense and running game bailed Manning out in 3 or the 4 playoff games. The Steelers, Patriots, Bucks, and Giants were all known as teams with strong defenses and good running games. They were balanced and played as a team. The QB is important but it's not the only thing that a team needs to win it all. The Titans need to fix the problems on the defensive side of the ball before any thing else.

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Terry Bradshaw proves that anyone half decent can win a title. Vince Young is past half decent, and could just as easily win a title or two or four.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

This.

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

It absolutely is built around that... which is extremely frustrating for me as a TT fan. I realize the importance of having a good and stable ground attack to keep defenses in check, but somebody HAS to be able to throw the ball well and have someone catch it.

CJ's 2000+ yard season last year was an anomaly.. subtract that and what do you have?

Look back at '03.. a lousy season with injuries galore. The one bright spot was that briefly we had a good pocket passer and two good receivers, but it was worthless because the entire rest of the team on both sides was near decimated.

So Fish tries to play that game, but unfortunately he picks Collins.... veteran, but inconsistent, and not someone the team really warms up to.

Who knows... maybe one day...

6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I agree with what you're saying here; the NFL QB position is the most important position in sports. Without a doubt, has the biggest impact on the success of his team. What I don't agree with you about, however, is that we have a QB who eliminates any possibility of making a playoff run. I completely disagree with that.

We look at Vince Young and see two different things. You see a mobile QB who checks down, throws picks, and wins against crappy teams. You've made that clear since I've been posting here.

I see a guy who has the potential to win any game. We've beat very game teams with Vince, whether you like it or not. He needs plenty of improvement, but realistically he's played less then 2.5 complete seasons spread out over a 4 year span. Next year the expectations will be higher then they've ever been. He has a great RB, a defense that just got beefed up substantially in my opinion, good receivers, and a great line. I think he can do it. 3,000 yards and 20 TD will be plenty good with our running game. I think he is capable of that, and this is the year we hafta see that before we go calling him inadequate. He has won 65% of the games he's played in on a team that's been .500 without him since he's been here.

7. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I think maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I'm saying it takes top QB play to WIN a Super Bowl. The Jets went to the AFC Title game last year with a below average QB. The Ravens the year before. Granted, Sanchez and Flacco were young at the time, but those teams won despite their QB...as did the Titans in 2007 and 2008. To say Collins is a 13-3 QB is flat out misleading as hell. As is to say VY was a 10-6 QB the year prior. You put either one of those guys on the Raiders or Rams and they look just as bad as Bulger and Russell.

The point I was making is how parallel the line is between:
    -the odds to win the 2011 Super Bowl and
    -that correlation to 2010's passing yards by that team

Remove all other 52 players from the roster. Just compare the QB to the odds to win the Super Bowl, and that with limited exceptions is spot on.

To compare the importance of the QB to the RB position (since we now have one of the best, if not THE best RB in the game),

I looked at a few lists of top RB's of the past decade, and these names seemed to come up on all of them.
    -Ladanian Tomlinson
    -Shaun Alexander
    -Priest Holmes
    -Clinton Portis

Only 1 Super Bowl appearance for the above 4 guys, and NO RINGS.

Now, the below RB's also on most lists either won ONLY with a top QB, or the team ironically won a Super Bowl AFTER their elite RB left the team...
    -Marshall Faulk (didn't win Super Bowl till Warner came)
    -Tiki Barber (Giants won Super Bowl year AFTER he retired)
    -Edgerrin James (Colts won Super Bowl year AFTER releasing him)

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

^

So it's good we have Vince Young then?

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I don't know, you tell me.

In 45 games in the NFL he has thrown 32 touchdowns and 39 interceptions. He has fumbled the ball 18 times with a QB rating of 72. He has averaged 152 yards per game, and during his 'breakout' season averaged 156 yards a game.

I guess if you can find a QB with similar career stats, I'd be happy to announce how proud and excited I am that we have a QB on the roster that correlates to a history of winning it all.

If those are numbers that you feel comfortable with as the leader of this team at the most important position in all of sports relative to its teams success, then it should be an easy sell for you to persuade me to feel the same.

Help me feel that way.

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar