How important is the QB position in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nate42104, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

As a fan of the Tennessee Titans, I am looking for any hope that we will win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years. As I was looking over the odds to win the 2010-2011 Super Bowl, I noticed something extremely interesting.

Top 6 to win Super bowl in order:

Indy
    Dallas
    New Orleans
    San Diego
    New England
    Green Bay

It's amazing how important the QB position and the ability to move the ball down the field through the air are so important in winning a Super Bowl. A couple of the teams above don't have the best defenses. Some, even very poor. A couple have almost ZERO running game. Yet, the teams that consistently have 300+ yard passing attacks per game are at the top of the list to win the next Super Bowl.

Even more interesting is the bottom 13 teams, in order, St. Louis with the worst odds. It is mind blowing to me the DIRECT relationship between a teams ability to win to how good their QB and ability to punish defenses with a passing attack is.

St. Louis
    Tampa Bay
    Oakland
    Kansas City
    Buffalo
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Seattle
    Carolina
    Denver
    Arizona
    Jacksonville
    San Fran

Also interesting to see that Pittsburgh WAS in the top 6 at 10:1, but is now DOUBLED to 20:1 since 1 little ol meaningless player on their roster isn't playing just 6 games. How much would they have dropped to if he had been suspended the entire season? To 30:1 or 40:1 or more? In other words, with Ben they are 10:1 to win it all. Without him they are in line with teams like Miami, San Fran, and Jacksonville.

Another interesting note is how absolutely LOADED the NY Jets are at every single position on the football field. One of the best running games, one of the best defenses, AND adding to that this upcoming season. Yet, with Mark Sanchez as their QB, they are 8th in line to win a Super Bowl this season. How can that 1 position be so important? How can a team like Green Bay with zero running game and a returning defense that is atrocious at times be FAVORED ahead of a Jets team SO LOADED? The ONLY position they are better than the Jets in is Quarterback.

I want so badly for someone to tell me, and show me how this league isn't built around the QB and a passing attack. Someone, PLEASE give me hope.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

is this what you do all day? go outside.

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

4. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

The guy with 13,000+ posts and responds 2 minutes after my post is telling me to go outside. That is neat.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. RavensShallBurn

Bahaha. I think Nate kinda got you there, man.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

lol he said neat.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Not important.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

at one point i was trying to catch gunny. despite his forum imposed vacations, it's a losing battle.

:hmm:

9. RavensShallBurn

No... I'm just saying... he's kinda got a point. He makes a post and you basically hint that he has no life and needs to go outside... when you have made 13k more posts than him.

10. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Some people do not know how to handle logic, and when logic contradicts some permanent thoughts they already have about a subject, rather than replying with valuable input, they simply resort to name calling. It further proves the validity of my original post.

I hope someone chimes in to prove the data to be incorrect in its correlation to how important the QB seems to be in the NFL, because as of today we do not have either a QB capable of those kinds of numbers and/or a coaching staff capable of putting together a game plan that revolves around a consistent air attack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar