Horton accepts Titans’ DC job

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Alex feels good when it's time for his pills.

#oldpeoplethrills

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Been wanting to do this since Horton was talked about as a possible head coaching candidate for the titans.

His 3 years as a DC look unimpressive with rankings in scoring defense in the middle of the pack at Arizona and below that this year with the Browns. We can break down those defenses in personnel and what players Horton had to work with and we can look closer at the numbers to see what we can draw from them.

First of all every Horton defense ranked higher in total defense than in scoring defense. And every Horton defense ranked better in yards per play than in scoring defense.

Rank in total defense...

2011 Arizona-9th
    2012 Arizona-12
    2013 Cleveland-17

Average -12.6

Rank in yards per play.

2011-6th
    2012-16
    2013-16

Average-12.6

Solid numbers all around.

Then look at the offenses those teams had. This is the rank in time of possession for the offense in those years proving little support for the defense.

TOP rank..

2011-18
    2012-24
    2013-29

All things considered Horton did a damn good job each year he was a DC.

Nobody can bash him for the browns defense this year. They were in a rebuilding mode and changing back to the 3-4 after using a 4-3 for a few years. Most of you would have a hard time naming more than a few guys from that defense and there was no outstanding pass rusher. Mingo the top rookie had 5 sacks and Paul Kruger their top free agent had a modest 4.5 sacks.

I think we hired a solid guy.

• High Five High Five x 6
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The pas defense....

Horton's defenses ranked 10th on average against the pass an impressive stat but due in part to having teams that were playing with leads in the 2nd half and throwing less against him. Horton's defenses were ranked 22nd on average in pass attempts against so if you invert that ranking they should be 10th in yards.

The sack rankings were impressive.

2011-T7th
    2012-11th
    2013-16th

An average of 11th. Again they were only 22nd in pass attempts against so that average is very solid.

4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Nice way to break it down, RT..

Sometimes we as fans can get misguided when it comes to stats on one side of the ball without looking at the other side of the ball.

You could have the best defense in the world, but if your offense can't sustain any drives, it falls back on your defense.

Time and time again we saw this team play good defense in the first half, but couldn't sustain it, due to lack of offense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm super, thanks for asking!

[​IMG]

Not sure what you mean about things not going my way... everything so far with the Titans has happened the way I wanted.

6. Alex1939

I really just like making fun of people that were big ole whiny babies immediately after the season ended like our Canadian friend, Riverman "content with mediocrity!", Sawdustman, and Fry. and Nickmsmith, can't forget Nick. THEY ARE ALL ON THE LIST!!!

7. amy

amy Starter

In transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4, just how easy is it for players to change systems? I keep thinking of VY and his inability to understand the plays. Most of these players are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

YOU ARE ON MY LIST!!!
    [​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 7
  9. Alex1939

love it!

10. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

To be fair, when that was said, he was apparently on the process of offering munch an extension, so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar