Help with a TV

Discussion in 'Gear' started by ammotroop, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Well, I went to buy a 42 inch HDTV plasma screen today, but was talked out of it by a friend because he said I should go with the LCD. Which is better out of the three, PLASMA, LCD, or DLP. What about this one below, is it HDTV? Thanks....plus price is an issue.

Philips® (42PFL5332D/37) 42" 16:9 LCD TV w/ Pixel Plus 3 HD
    Price...$1,499.00 ($100.00 S/H)

This item is shipped directly from our supplier. Your account will be charged at the time order is placed. Please allow approximately 14 days for shipment, plus an additional 7 days for delivery.

Experience breathtaking picture quality with the latest LCD technology and Pixel Plus 3; 1,366 x 768p resolution. Feature integrated HDTV, dynamic contrast enhancer, Virtual Dolby® Digital Surround, built-in USB and dual HDMI™ input. Include tabletop swivel stand.

MODEL: 42PFL5332D/37

Power: 110V, AC, 60Hz

Size: 27"H x 41 1/8"W x 4 1/2"D (without stand)

2. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

42" Vizio Widescreen LCD HDTV

Select Quantity, then click "Add to Cart"
    Delivery: $944.78

Pick Up: $944.78
    Club #6443

#697386 Login for Lists

Model: VX42LHDTV
    Are you looking for a great value in a large high definition LCD for your home or office? Then look no further because Vizio has got you covered with our 42" high definition 16:9 widescreen LCD with built-in dual tuners and 1366 x 768 resolution. It makes a perfect centerpiece to any home or office and is great for connecting to HD and standard gaming consoles.

WHat about this one? Sams has them cheap, plus I have heard good things about the Vizio

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i bought a DLP(toshiba) almost a year ago and love it. i have heard out of plasma, LCD and DLP, DLP is the lowest quality picture, but i don't see a thing wrong with it.

DLPs are typcially bigger than the LCDs and less expensive.

plasma is probably the highest quality picture, but they are just too expensive and fragile for me. when you're moving them you have to keep them up right and if you play video games on them, dont play sports games. the scoreboard on madden will get burned into the picture and you can see it faintly.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I've said it in 2 other threads, but I might as well say again here

I just returned a 62" Toshiba 1080p DLP
    turns out that it would not accept a "true" 1080p input
    so back to Costco, to get the next best thing

first off, let me say this ........
    if you can get by with not mounting this thing on a wall, then there's no need to spend the extra cash on LCD's. Plasmas are selling at nice prices now, but there are still concerns over 'burn-in' issues

I think I found an excellent alternative
    enter - LCoS
    many have tried it , many have failed
    not many manufacturers are still producing LCOS sets
    JVC calls it HD-ILA and they are being phased out (i think)
    Sony calls there's SXRD and it's a big hit in Microdiplays
    it's the best of both worlds really
    and the images are much crisper than the DLP

a 60" Sony Grand Wega KDS-60A2020 should set you back about $2500
    a comparable LCD of that size would cost you about $7000
    and, imo, the image on an LCD would NOT look any better
    this thing produces EVERY line @ 1920 x 1080 (1080p)
    the DLP would not do that (even though it's advertised)
    and LCD and Plasmas resolutions don't go that high (1,366 x 768p)

a REAL good test
    get the store to hook up a ps3 / blu-ray, etc.. anything capable of 1080p
    hook up via HDMI to the DLP first
    then an LCD
    then the SXRD (or any Lcos for that matter)

the biggest thing with Lcos is the absence of "mosquito" and "screen door" effects commonly found on other displays. to me the images are smoother .... more silky ... more like film

but I guess it all depends on your budget
    if you can afford a ceiling of $2500 than I'd recommend the Sony SXRD, and remember I replaced a nice Toshiba 1080p DLP with it

if your cap is more like $1500 then I'd go with a Vizio, Panasonic plasma

then again size is a factor

anything under 46" = LCD
    anything 50" = Plasma
    anything over 55" = Lcos (Sony SXRD / JVC HD-ILA)
    I liked DLP, but the inability to INPUT a 1080p source (ps3) turned me off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar