Greetings...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hey,

This will be a 'snack'......

It's been a long time since ive been here...a baby, going to school fulltime and working part time are enough to limit my 'free' time. I did watch the Titans last year with great enthusiasm even though I wasnt posting. It's good to be back even very part time...but you know I can't resist the DRAFT!!!

Some initial thoughts from the draft and reading this board...

First, anyone has the right to question a draft choice. Of course none of us have as much info on the prospects as the Titans have, but that doesn't mean we can't make good decisions about what they should and shouldn't have done. You don't need to be a football scholar to know we've spent 2 2nd rd picks and a 1st rd pick on a position where for the most part, only one of those guys will be playing at a time. That is a waste of value (draft picks) no matter how u slice it.

Second, the Chris Henry experiment should have netted us an awareness and understanding that just because a guy can fly doesnt make him a great (or even good) player. Henry ran a 4.40 40 (for some reason ppl keep saying the fastest at the combine...tied 3 ways for fastest among rb's...not overall fastest by a long shot) at 230lbs...which is awesome! And yet no one put him as a 1st rnd pick...in fact a lot of ppl (myself included) had him as a 4th rndr. Why? Cuz a 40 time and size aren't the only things you look at in a rb. Henry runs fast in a straightline but simply doesnt have the vision/anticipation nor sudden change of direction of the the elite backs. This is why a player that fast gets blown to smithereens in one of the nastiest hits we've seen this decade by a 290lb DL....how do you not see that guy coming right at you dead ahead? I can point to a rb with great vision and slippery-ness but who ran a 4.7...who's in the Hall of Fame. You WONT find a speed burner who can't change direction, lacks suddenness, and has no vision in the Hall of Fame. Think about it. And change of direction has been much more important to the elite backs than top end speed. Sure Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders were fast, but not really WR fast. They had a speed advantage over LB's which was exploited greatly BY their great change of direction and sudden acceleration. This leades to the obvious...

Third, for all the ppl thrilled with the Johnson selection and enamored with his 4.24 speed, he doesn't appear to have marshall faulk/reggie bush type change of direction. Sure he can blow by all small school players who are probably lucky if they have 1 guy on D who runs in the 4.4 range...but how will this translate to the NFL without sudden change of direction, much faster players who take good angles...and you only run outside 95% of the time? Like Henry a year ago, this is a boom or bust type pick. My hope is that he is a Tiki Barber type back who learns to run between the tackles before bouncing everything outside. If he's not that, hope he's a significantly faster Kevin Faulk and Dinger finds a lot of creative uses for him (ala Faulk and Westbrook) and can absolutely kill ya with swing and bubble screen passes. Hope he is NOT a Justin Fargas but smaller, fumbles more, wont run between tackles...and is just a returner.

Fourth, we need pass rushers. A notable stat came out before the playoffs that a team with a higher ratio of sacking to being sacked usually won. And while no one has been able to stop the Pats, the Giants did it with a relentless pass rush. The Giants have quietly been collecting pass rushers in almost every draft now. We could really use an elite pass rusher opposite KVB! I don't think Jason Jones is it though he may be more than fine at LDE. While most ppl don't like the reach of Hayes...I am of the mind that he is exactly the kind of player you move up for in the middle rnds. Sure he's very raw, but he's explosive! Are we really gonna miss that 5th rnd pick? Would we really have missed Hawkins if we didnt get him in the 4th?

Fifth, what makes the CJ pick in rnd 1 all the more mind boggling (aside from the fact that he's not a complete back (yet), we already have a solid starter at the position, and we didnt need him, and a similar type of back could have been aquired in rds 2-3, is that we DID have a need for a good WR. Limas Sweed was available right in front of us...no trade up (we were focused on CJ from the start). A shame since a grp of VY with White/Charles with Sweed, Crumpler, McCareins/ect seems better to me than White/CJ with Krumpler and the usual suspects...

Sixth, I like Lavelle Hawkins but can anyone tell me how he's different from a handful of guys we already have on the roster? And we already have a handful of returning options as well...doesn't that 4th now seem like it could have been better spent moving up in rd 1 or 2 to get a guy we (not MR) wanted?

Seventh, there must be an unwritten law that the Titans have to 'waste' a 3rd rnd pick on backup TE's...and I thought that was just Reece who did that...! :p Seems to me we could actually take some talent at OL that could then vie for a starting job instead of a backup TE that should not see playing time without injury. Oi vei!

The Titans have taken on a lot of boom vs bust type aquisitions this off-season...will Crumpler be the player he was? If he is...AWESOME. If not...we have a big problem. Will Kearse revert back to double digit sack days or will he be ineffective and slowed by injuries...leaving whom to play LDE? Will CJ be a boom or a bust as a playmaker? Will McCareins return to form or show the indifference that got him in Mangini's permanent doghouse?

On a side note...I noticed the Titans D finished at 5 for the season with essentially the personell and changes suggested by myself and several others...<pats self on back>...guess we did have top 10 defensive talent as I suggested we did.

Now if we can just trade our 1st and 3rd next year with a conditional 3rd in 2010 for Roy Williams, our offense would actually have a plamaker at QB,RB,WR,and TE.......we hope!!!

OK...that should provide a spark for discussion...

Ive missed you all!

Gut

2. titansfan4eva24

titansfan4eva24 VY 4 Life

a first and a 3rd and another pick is WAY to much for roy williams. I'm sure a first in plenty enough to get Roy williams.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

:applause: :notworth:

glad to see you!

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Mind-bottling.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Doesnt have Mendenhall type shiftiness? I'm pretty sure he'll be just as shifty as Rashard Mendenhall (z z z Z Z z Z z...) in the nfl.

6. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

SUp Gut,

I do disagree with you about Johnson Change of direction abilities.

7. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

We don't need Roy Williams

8. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Thanks Gut. Still munching away on that never ending bag of chips I see.

I'm feeling pretty goood about the draft. Didn't like any of the wideouts too much (no one seemed an obvious huge improvement over what the team had). I saw drafting a fast RB as the best and most immediate way of adding speed to the Titans O. The thing that always bugged me about Chris Henry was that he wasn't productive in college, the same can't be said of Johnson (the "little" guy had 17 rushing TD's in 2007!). Unlike most, I dig the idea that they targeted a guy in Hayes that they really liked and weren't afraid of reaching to get him. When reading the bios on these guys, hard working and intelligent are included in almost every description... All in all, I'm surprisingly optimistic.

9. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Before I registered, I've been reading gotitans since the 2005 draft. I used to read your long blogs that were on the gotitans page... I already feel like i know you :))

I disagree with your analysis of Chris Johnson. I believe he DOES have the change of direction ability that you covet from a guy that plays like this.
    It would be cool for him to become like Tiki Barber though... I don't think anyone can argue that.

Lavelle Hawkins is a guy who produced alot in college, and although everyone looked at Jackson, Hawkins was the guy that caught the tough catches. He isn't really much different from what we already have, but he was a very good college player. Maybe he does the same for us?

10. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Since the Titans #1 need coming into the draft was WR, and the Titans had every WR available when they picked and they decided not to get one, and instead went with a "reach" RB for the 3rd year in a row, if Johnson does not end up better than EVERY WR that comes out this year, Mickey and Dud were wrong.

Personally I think that Jeff doesn't think that Vince is a real QB and he is going to be running a college option type offense. He isn't going to expect Vince to throw the ball more than 10-15 times a game. He is going to end up with a 100 yards a game average throwing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar