Future of Henry

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I don't think he'll revert completely. Not saying he can keep the beast mode he had in December going, but he'll be effective I think.

For one thing, a zone blocking scheme is ideal for the kind of runner Henry is. A guy who likes to hit the edge, or make one cut and go in the middle. Problem is, we switched to the zone scheme without having ideal personnel for it. The addition of saffold should be huge in that regard. Henry sprinting to the left edge behind Lewan and a pulling saffold should be lethal.

Would really help if mariota can produce enough pass threat to back teams out of the box though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

He really doesn't have that much wear and tear on him, at least since he's left Alabama. I bet he gets signed if he runs for 1200+ yds.

3. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

Question is, how many players is JROB willing to part with to get the checkbook in the black?...

I think Conklin is at more risk than Derrick is..... HOPEFULLY, we are in no position to take the premium RB in the draft..... and instead being around Bolles, Bradbury, Ramcyzk territory......

Byard could miss this entire season and still be a lock (although lets not cross that bridge)

4. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

I think if henry comes out strong there is no way he isnt on the team next year. we could easily sign all of byard, conk, henry, and mm8 and still be alright in cap

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

this is what you say in your initial post...

"Plus, if Henry does pick up where he left off last year, then you could be talking a top 5 RB in the NFL (rushing at least). We all saw how Henry could completely take over games. If that were to continue, does anyone really think we could just take any 2nd/3rd round back and get equal production?"

Derrick Henry was a 2nd rounder himself, so yes, I think we could take another back in the 2nd/3rd and get equal production, especially with the resources we have on our OL.

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

Our team is young, but a lot of inconsistent players on offense.

I mean, how do you pay them?

Mariota, Henry, Davis... you almost, or will almost, have to roll the dice as to what player you get. The one that is lights out, or average at best.

7. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Or do you get a Haynesworth who drops a steaming pile once they get paid.

8. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

The point is, if Henry keeps playing the way he ended last year (which is the hypothetical for this scenario) then he is far outplaying his 2nd rd selection. So the likelihood of finding another 2nd round back that could replicate that production is low.

It kinda like saying “well Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round, so yeah we could find the next goat in the 6th round” ... yeah it’s possible, but very unlikely.

We have drafted many other RBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds before ... how many of them became 1200+ yard backs?

I just don’t think replacing him will be as easy as some people make it sound. People are convinced that RBs are a dime a dozen, but we haven’t had much luck drafting RBs outside of the 1st, so I question that philosophy

Again, all of this is under the assumption that Henry continues to play well

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Lets be honest here, we haven’t had luck drafting any position. How many WRs have we drafted?

There seem to be lots of RBs that hit the market or draft every year, I’m not worried at all at the RB position. Especially with how much we’ve spent on our OL.

10. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I know this is being pedantic, but zone schemes really don't have pulling guards.

The OL will double team or reach block the first level to whichever direction they want to run, and the RB reads where the hole forms. The basic idea is to use whatever leverage you can, get a hat on a hat, and get the defense blocked, but running. Once you do that, holes will naturally start to form where a RB of Henry's size can put his foot in the dirt and run against the grain, where guys can only arm tackle him... which rarely brings Henry down.

Or sometimes you get the edge set and Henry can use his long speed to hit the edge and turn up field, where few people are ever able to catch him, or face his stiff arm if they do.

In either case, if the blocking is decent, the outside zone is deadly when Henry is running hard.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar