For Those Trashing The OL....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by abc2330, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

LOL!!! How do you know what I believe regarding the evaluation of a prospect based on athletic testing? I find it funny when you make assumptions and claims I haven’t made...then argue against the thing you just made up.

Athletic testing versus prospect value is not what we are debating. You said we got better athletes. I said we got better players. You sound like you are on my side but just don’t want to admit it when you say pure athletic testing isn’t as important as how they play.

Right?

2. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Well Pittsburgh just took a WR from as smaller conference who looked fast on tape, but it didn't show up in his testing. If a prospect tests so poorly that it's a legitimate concern, like a RB/WR running a 4.8 , you really have to wonder how that will translate. But as long as he tests within an acceptable range, then you can trust the tape. Every single test consists of longer sustained movement, or jumping. Not how quickly a guy can move in a confined space. It's just not that applicable to what they have to do on the field

3. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

And if it takes the 4.3 LB a fraction of a second longer to diagnose what is happening and react, his entire speed advantage is nullified.

Mental speed and instinct matters more than raw physical speed.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

OL are like QBs. You assume that their numbers aren't going to blow you away. What's important is their reactionary quickness, which you'll see on tape and may not necessarily be represented in testing. Which is why Mariota can test in the 92nd-99th percentile in all athletic measurements, yet has trouble avoiding pass rushers on the field

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I see you didn't answer my question. Can you answer given no measurements or athletic testing? In the above paragraph you give yourself an out..."If a prospect tests so poorly..." but you previously said it doesn't matter, ONLY the tape is important. So which is it? First you say it's ONLY the tape, now you say it's the tape BUT...

So can you answer my question?

Lastly, what is the purpose of this ridiculous departure off the original discussion. Do you agree we got better players and not better athletes?

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

it's worse, his speed works AGAINST him since he'll be moving really fast in the wrong direction. In the NFL, standing still for .5 seconds not moving is enough time to give an OL an angle on you. If you take that .5 seconds and move in the wrong direction, it'll take much longer to stop and go in the right direction...far too late.

Reading keys, film study so you know tendencies out of different formations or player packages, and core play types and what players like to do help speed up the process. That's why with LB's we are always talking about guys who see the play and guys or are a step slow to diagnose.

7. WV2SoCalTitan

WV2SoCalTitan Starter

Not sure what you guys are arguing about, but to answer your question. Yes, you take that wr top 5 and his name is Corey Davis. Eye in the sky dont lie, didn't need combine numbers to know CD was a good wr.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Some input from people who actually watch tape instead of watch guys running around in shorts.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I know eh

Cool, Tanny made a good throw once

[​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

More I watch of this kansas state rb alex barnes the more I like him! I think he could well make the team and be our rb number 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar