Fisher: As long as we're winning, Collins is our QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Some of you guys need to actually read the story instead of the headline. This story does not say if we're average over the next couple of weeks kerry collins will be our starter the rest of the year. It also doesn't say when vince gets back he will be the back up. This story is just showing how Fish is not sure how long it will take for VY to be ready mentally and physically and until he is kerry is the man.

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

There's no point in putting Vince in during the hardest part of our schedule....I say we sit him all year.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I still love VY, and I also love this move. Vince has a lot to learn still, and he obviously needs an attitude adjustment. This is a bit like Fish telling Haynesworth he had to earn his way back to the team. I think it's the only way for VY to have some serious gut check time to get his head back in the game. He had more confidence in his rookie year than we've seen in the last 2. Now he has better skills, but has completely lost focus.

Collins will keep this team winning. I don't know if VY will be back under center as soon as KC, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him in certain packages starting after the bye. Build his confidence back up and then turn it back over to him. Simms might be long-term insurance just in case Vince can't or won't bring himself back.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. ruby10football

ruby10football Camp Fodder

This is exactly what VY needs, some time to refocus and get his life back in order. It might be the best thing thats ever happened to him. I just hope he will gain back a bunch of confidence with the time off. A good player needs to have that. I think he's been so hard on himself that it just blew up right in his face. He needs to learn that he's gonna make some errors, it comes with the game. Recovering from them is what he has to improve on. The rest will come.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. DJB

DJB Starter

It does seem set up perfectly for KC. If he were to pick any four game stretch to look good in to hold onto the starting job it would be these four. I was pleased with Kerry vs CIN considering the wind. I would like to see VY get put in the game as soon as he is healthy enough to play. Maybe let Collins start and throw VY in a few series. I still think VY is capable of becoming a very good QB in this league. Collins is a perfect example of a QB who was very immature his first few years in the NFL but turned it around. Hopefully VY learns from him.

6. teegee

teegee Guest

Um, YES he has. Twice, to be precise.

1. In 2000 he threw for 3600 yards and 22 TD (14 INT) in leading the Giants to the Super Bowl. The Giants had one of the top defenses in the NFL that season along with a 2-headed rushing game (Barber/Dayne) that was very effective. Now, most people remember how Collins stunk up the joint in the Super Bowl. What they tend to overlook is the fact he threw for FIVE touchdowns in the NFC title game vs. the Vikes to get NY to the Super Bowl in the first place.

2. After going 7-6 as a rookie starter, the following year Collins helped get the Panthers to the NFC title game. Now in that situation he was asked just to manage the games. He threw for about 2500 yards and 14 TD but had just 9 INT. The Panthers were an excellent defensive team that season. But they didn't exactly surround Collins with weapons on offense -- the top RB was Anthony Johnson (who???) and the best receiver was his TE, Wesley Walls. The wideouts were Mark Carrier, Willie Green and Muhsin Muhammad (then just a rookie).

7. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Since an "anonymous" player made a statement and it was revealed on Plaster's show this morning, the story is out. Vince has been holding the team an "emotional hostage". He's bratty and moody and thinks sometimes acts like the team rules and regulations apply to everyone but him. There are excetions and special treatment given to some players dubbed "the old dude rule". Things like Mawae, Bulluck, Haynesworth, Vanden Bosch, etc. getting to sit out practices and other special treatment.

Those that know the true story of "VincePolice-gate" also know that Fisher is giving Vince a kick in his hindquarters and giving him time to get his mind right. When has Fisher ever used the media to talk about who is starting and who is not? Not never! He's making a point. Fisher is very media smart and knows how to manipulate. He's sending Vince a strong, "get ya mind right" message.

Trust, Vince will be back in the starting lineup by at least week 10. Fisher believes in Vince's talents and threw down a challege to Vince to stop acting like he deserves this job and earn it. He's telling Vince to get down or lay down. Now, only time will tell the choice that Vince makes. The team is, I can't really say happy, but they are, perhaps relieved to see that bratty Vince is finally getting his card pulled.

And, Fisher saw that Vince was continuing with his funky attitude towards the local media when asked performance questions. Tennessee has a very small, intimate size of beat writers and Fisher could see the situation going WAY South. It was a culmination of things that earned Vince his current situation. He brought this on himself.

8. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

OK well you got me there, my apologies for somehow looking over those two instances. However, you didn't necessarily refute my point, which is that KC can get it done. He may not have any jewelery, but he has made some runs. People can't just base their opinion of him on how he performed for the first few games of the 2006 season when he was pretty much hurled into a new scheme and asked to play starting QB a couple of weeks later.

9. teegee

teegee Guest

I don't know if Fisher really believes in Young as a QB. If he was overruled by the owner about which QB to draft (I don't know if he was, but IF that's the case), he may not be as willing to keep giving VY chances. Especially if Young's attitude doesn't change.

10. teegee

teegee Guest

If you go by his past, the pattern with Collins is that he has gotten better the longer he was in a team's system. He was better his 2nd year with the Raiders than he was the 1st year. He was better with the Giants after he had a handful of sarts under his belt, etc. So I have strong belief that he will continue to play well now that he is comfotable with the team and the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar