Faulk says Titans known for not paying players (new CJ contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm going to try not to just repeat what Psychop said well... Bud Adams' bottom line IS the Titans' bottom line!

The distinction between the salary cap and the team's still limited ability to pour out endless amounts of money is a big one. That's why you aren't seeing tons of players break the bank in the uncapped year. (Yes, the unresolved CBA plays a part, but there's also a reality there that the teams will only spend so much.)

Once again, it could be beneficial to sign CJ for the long run, but it's also a MAJOR risk. If he gets hurt, or if he sits out again in three years for more money, then it hasn't provided any long term benefit.

Bulluck got a 30+ million contract, and I think about a $10 million signing bonus, but he had to play out his rookie deal.

River, Alex, you love to throw out comments mocking others' ability to understand being a GM, but you conveniently ignore any posts talking about the risk of throwing out this kind of money. I would totally agree with your views of how the team should be run, if I just viewed Adam's as a mindless rich guy who didn't care how much his team had to spend on players. That's a pretty small minded view of it, though, in my opinion.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

For salary cap reasons, and that is a salary cap we don't have anymore, yes the benefits would be tremendous. For actual financial reasons, and having the money available to sign other players, not so beneficial. You kind of touched on it earlier about how the future of the NFL was cloudy. I think CJ has a decent chance of getting this deal done regardless, but I think if the Titans knew there was going to be a salary cap again, this deal would definitely get done because of the added benefit of signing him. As of now, there is no real benefit of signing him to a new contract. He's already under contract. There's no fear of losing him to another team. It will just shut him up. That's it. If he keeps this holdout going through next month, he'll end up losing an accrued season, which will extend his rights to the Titans. When he gets signed, I believe it will be because A) the Titans do want to reward him; they simply want to consider the financial ramifications of signing him to a new contract. And B) because he's made enough noise and has been annoying enough that he forces a sense of urgency in them getting it done.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Not true not true not true!!!!!

You are lying!

Bulluck in his first four seasons wasn't half the player C.J. is in his first two.

4. GoTitans3801

Surprise, surprise, you don't have any actual arguments to make...

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

So you post lies and then say I have no argument? Psh, okay.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I don't confuse appraised value and cash flow at all. But NOBODY knows that the Titans CAN'T afford front loading a contract in this uncapped year. Is anybody really suggesting that the Titans CAN'T afford to pay a front loaded extension for fear of "not being able to pay other players"? Give me a break.

I understand the business philosophy of the organization. I believe they will offer something around 15-20 million bonus with a "salary" for future years around the start of camp. Probably throw in some incentives. I just take great exception to the bogus arguments that the organization can't afford it either from a cap or future budget standpoint.

And btw- Randy Moss got the hell out of Minnesota. Think CJ might do the same?

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'd be shocked and amazed if CJ is still serving up 1500y+ after 7 seasons - which is how long Moss was stuck in MN.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not saying the Titans could not hand CJ a check for $30mil. The question is whether or not it makes sense to do it.

As I asked earlier, do you give him $30mil without asking him to extend his contract? I think you have to. Because of the 30% rule, the max base he could have is around $13mil on a five-year deal.

So do you think CJ accepts a five-year deal worth $43mil? Maybe. But that's $5mil less than what Steven Jackson got two years ago. To get CJ to $50mil, you now have to give him a something closer to $40mil and it's not going to happen unless it's spread out over, at least, a five-year contract.

Actually, he played there for seven seasons.

Are you saying he would still be a Viking if he'd gotten his contract after his second season instead of his third? They made him the highest-paid WR in NFL history. What else could they have done?

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Moss was the example you threw out there about not getting the big payday even after 3 pro-bowl seasons.

10. GoTitans3801

CJ might very well leave after his contract is up. However, that's a VERY long way away, and even longer if he continues to hold out.

Yes, the Titans can probably put together the cash to give CJ however much he wants, I don't think anyone would really say that it would be impossible for them to make it happen. The question is whether it is a good idea, and how it will effect the team's decision making down the road. That seems to be the side that you aren't willing to address. Yes, it makes the cap consequences down the road easier, but it also makes the team more likely to spend less on players in the future, especially if this risk goes badly for them.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that it's a big risk if we do it. If it goes well, CJ improves the team, has a great career, and brings us results on the field, fans in the stands, merchandizing money, and good publicity for other players wanting to come here. If it goes badly, CJ gets hurt, or CJ simply never is as good as he was last season, or three seasons down the road he holds out again wanting even more money. In that situation, the team gets doubly hurt by not getting value out of the money that they spent, and not wanting/having as much to spend in the future. If Bud sees his biggest, riskiest investment go down the toilet, he's not going to just keep throwing big risky contracts out there.

It's a winners win, losers lose situation, and we're taking a big risk by making that kind of financial commitment without getting anything back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar