Downing Replacement

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tricky, Jan 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I would like to keep an OC for more then a season at a time.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you will most likely get your wish.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

Unfortunately you will most likely get your wish.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah it’s great having young coordinators that nobody wants. If nobody wants to interview your coordinators, you want it to be because they already failed as a head coach, not because they suck.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Salt Mine Saint 2 tone blue.jpg

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Do we know what level of involvement Schwartz had and where?

Whatever the level, the Titans D was the strength of the team this year. Whether Bowen got better, Schwartz addressed a need, the talent improved or all the above, everyone here who called for Bowen to be fired was wrong.

You obviously feel Downing is incompetent and I too question some of the things he does as I have every OC the Titans has ever had. But I think he catches a lot of blame for player mistakes and had his hands tied behind his back most of the season due to injuries.

Because of this, I don’t think Vrabel will fire Downing and, if Vrabel decides to take the same approach he did with Bowen, I welcome it if it gets the offense back to were it was last season.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

Norv Turner still alive?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I believe that Schwartz played a big role in helping our defense improve….his defenses have always been solid against the run, have good sack numbers and good 3rd down stop %…..we greatly improved in all those areas….no doubt the addition of players help as well, but I just don’t think it was a coincidence that we improved in all of those key areas that have been staples of Schwartz defense

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

It's from PK, but it is interesting:

"The fourth-down stop by the Bengals on Henry was tipped off when Firkser readjusted his positioning from the slot to two steps closer to the line of scrimmage to block the outside linebacker. This told inside linebacker Marcus Baily it was a run play to Henry and Bailey made the easy tackle for a loss and turnover on downs."

"The third-and-1 stop just before that was a simple option read by Tannehill. He reads the DE on the offensive right side. The right tackle is blocking the inside linebacker, if the end crashes down on Henry the QB keeps it if he stays, it’s a hand it off. The DE stayed but Tannehill kept the ball. David Quessenberry also missed his block on the inside linebacker, so both reads were taken away."

Scouting review: How it all came apart for the Titans

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

If Bowen had to have another man tell him how to do his job, how was everyone who called for him to be fired, wrong? The point of having a coordinator is they know how to do their job and run the offense/defense. If you’re coordinators need to be told what to do, they shouldn’t be coordinators to begin with.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar