Downing Replacement

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tricky, Jan 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

The predictability of the formations and play calling is a real issue for the Titans. This has been an issue that predates Downing, but has continued under him. Both Smith and LaFluer had similar issues, but to lesser degrees. A lot of this stems from what appears to be the Titans organization viewpoint that the way for them to win games is by beating up opposing teams with the run game, and transition to play action and a few other designed plays that incorporate RPO characteristics (like the play in the video).

The problem with this philosophy is that the Titans employ little deception in their playcalling. While Vrabel made fun of Mularkey's playcalling in his introductory press conference (something to the effect of him not being stupid and running into eight man boxes until it works), the playcalling under Vrabel has evolved into this. On occasions, the Titans run the same play over and over again hoping it will "pop." In essence, the offense is entirely predictable. For example, the Titans first down rushing rate has been near the top of the league in all four seasons during Vrabel's tenure (I think between 55 and 60 percent). This is with three different offensive coordinators.

What I'm getting is that I'm not sure getting rid of Downing the Titans will actually change their offense all that much. The individual play calls will likely improve to a degree, but the Titans will still be running a run first offense with plays that opposing teams will eventually be able to predict, just like the Bengals did. I feel that unless the organization is willing to alter its philosophy to some degree (maybe by being a little closer to 50/50 run/pass on first down), the results, particularly in the playoffs, will not change all that much.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  2. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

The Titans have lousy WR scouts. They hit a homerun with Aj but outside of that pathetic. We will never have a high octane offense that allows a 50/50 pass/run with 3rd class WRs that can’t separate or get open. Every guy that suits up in KC is quick and hard to cover. We have AJ…thats it…not even a TE worth a damn anymore.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I prefer not to have the same style offense as KC. By being a running team, titans are able to run the ball and eat clock keeping the ball away from a Mahomes.

when was the last titans shoot out similar to that disgusting display of D Buffalo and KC just had?
    I’ll also add 27-3. 3 pts for the exact same offense. D and run the ball.

4. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

We need a blend of both. We need better WR while not abandoning the run first philosophy. But going all in on either philosophy makes a team one dimensional. We need to be hard to stop on offense because we are very good at both running and passing. We need a Pick your Poison offense to go with a lethal defense.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

The new rules make passing much much easier than it used to be in the NFL. The run first philosophy has its limit in today’s NFL and you’ve seen it the last few playoff games for the Titans. By being a run first team, you’re choosing not to take advantage of today’s NFL rules.

6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Titans, SF, NE, Cardinals, and not really sure which Philly was, seemed like neither but all were top 10 in running %

Last year add Baltimore, Cleveland, NO, GB, and colts were top 10 in running %

For the most part, only a couple are actually over 50% but it does show how important it is to be able to run. 5 of 14 both years are among the league’s top running offenses.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

I wasn’t saying it wasn’t important to be able to run, but you can’t rely on it. You have to be able to pass the ball.

#137 KyTitansFan, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar