An in-depth look into the Titans defensive struggles

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

He’s probably already had another heart attack from watching.

2. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

You can’t even answer the question!!! You really are sleepy HT. Guess what you have to do to get a QB knockdown? PRESSURE THE QB!!!! It’s a relevant stat because it shows we are literally within a half second of a sack.

I told you they were dead last in QB knockdowns and 25th in 2018.

Until you can provide a legitimate answer to the question I am done with this conversation because you are bringing no value to this discussion. You are just ignoring and not answering legitimate questions being asked.

Also you said the Titans had the BEST secondary in the league that year. Not arguably. You said the best. Don’t try and change your words now.

3. Tricky

Tricky Starter

They shouldve promoted Coombs to DC to keep him.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

What does knockdowns in 2019 or 2018 have to do with the secondary?
    If anything, being the Near the bottom at it and having such a good secondary in 2018 helps my point. The argument of what held the team back was pass rush.

You can capitalize “pressure the QB” all you want in reference to knockdowns, but pressure has its own stat in which the titans suck at.

Bottom line, spending big on a secondary (which is where this all started) with out a pass rush, which is a huge titans problem, doesn’t fix the D.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

How can the Titans pull off a midseason defensive turnaround?

Echos a lot of what has been written in this thread. In addition, the article demonstrates that in some aspects, the defensive scheme the Titans are employing makes no sense. The example they give is blitzing seven to avoid a quick throw, but then have the corners playing 10 yards off. That example is something we have seen a lot of this season, even when they do not blitz, the corners are playing way too far off.

In the 2nd half of the Steelers game, that was an adjustment that the Titans defense made as the corners were playing a bit closer. Combine that with pressure being put Ben's way and that lead to the defense having much more success.

The biggest hope for this defense when Adoree returns is that it allows the corners to play a bit closer than having to be 10 or more yards off the LOS

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

The difference between where we were on knockdowns in 2018-2019 and now should be telling about our pass rush now vs then.

It’s been explained already why our pressures and sacks are low. Knocking down the QB is more important than just pressuring the QB. The titans pass rush is close to getting sacks. Just need the coverage told hold longer.

Until you are willing to answer the questions and have legitimate conversation, I’m done here. Good day.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

We’re going in circles again.
    It’s awesome the titans can knock the QB around without getting the statistical credit (that would be the stat under PRESS) for the pressure you say they are getting. A little strange the statistical analysis of what you’re saying doesn’t show up under PRESS, only QB knockdowns.

It would also be nice if how close they are getting to the QB, knocking him down and all, would HURRY (also a quantified stat the titans are not good at) the QB at least a little. I’m sure some hurried throws would lead to more incomplete passes and maybe even an occasional 3rd down stop,

And still yet, I wonder if all those knockdowns will eventually get there just a hair faster to equate to an actual SACK (also a quantified stat the titans suck at).

Have no idea why their knockdowns are that high considering how bad their pass rush is. But it would seem the titans knock the QB down after he’s released the ball, which essentially does nothing based on the overall pass rush performance and how it’s “helped” the team.

I suppose this a fair question in retort.
    How can a team with such low rankings in pressure, hurries, and sacks possibly be considered good at rushing the passer as you suggest?
    I’ll also ask, with all those knockdowns, how has the defensive performance improved because of it? We all recognize the D overall is not playing well, so what have those knockdowns done?

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. titanfanatic

titanfanatic I Piss Excellence Staff

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Thank you!! More proof that this is true.

I'm done talking with that dude. He clearly wouldn't believe this is the issue if Vrabel came out and said it himself. I don't know how anyone can watch that video and saw the pass rush is a problem. Every last one of those throws came out Big Ben's hand quick. The first read is wide open every time, it's insane.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

"In his article, Mike also mentions one commonality between nearly every quarterback the Titans have faced this year: they get the ball out of their hands nearly two-tenths of a second faster than their season average, which points to a coverage issue."

That 2 tenths of a second sure would turn some of those QB knockdowns into sacks I bet...

Another great quote:

"Recent analytics studies point to the theory that coverage is more important and more impactful on win totals in the NFL currently than the pass rush. The idea is that most offenses nowadays are designed to get the ball out of a quarterback’s hands so quickly that the pass rush is essentially negated if the coverage is not there, like the example above in SuperHorn’s tweet."

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar